4/7 swap?

El Rat

Well Known Member
Hi gents
Since I have to replace damn near everything: cam, lifters, rocker arms, pushrods, rocker studs, add guides and plates. Should I go for the 4/7 swap? If so someone recommend a great sounding hydraulic. If not I’ll stay with the SC hydraulic recommended by Don Jacks.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Are you going to have the engine fully disassembled and inspected, or just top end work? I think a full tear down is in order with all the damage found.

El Rat

Well Known Member
In the pan I’m not sure there’s any place else? So you don’t have an answer to the original question. It’s not rocket science...is the 4/7 swap worth the trouble?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
No Gene,I don't think that it would make enough difference either for you to be able to feel or justify the likely extra cost.Since the cam's coming out anyway,I'd give that rear cam bearing a close look.Can you post a picture of the bottom of the lifters?

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I do have my opinion on the 4/7 swap. Wouldn’t do it. If you want to, great. I would not trust all the debris missed the rod bearings, main bearings, oil pump, settled in oil passages, etc.... I realize that’s not what you asked, just trying to help you avoid anymore unnecessary drama with this motor. They are too expensive to take any chances in my opinion. I hope you rethink your plan, for your sake.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Am I the only one who doesn't know what a 4/7 swap is?? Thanks, Carmine.

tenxal

Well Known Member
We've messed with the 4-7 swaps in our drag cars...nothing there on the dyno or track. If you're determined to do a 4-7 swap, the best thing is to do the double swap (4-7 and 2-3) and go to the LS firing order.
Std. firing order: 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2
L.S. firing order: 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3

With the LS swap, the engines we've done that on seem to run a bit smoother. But again, no dyno or track improvements that can be traced to the swap.

I can't think of any reason to go there on your project.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
In your case,Gene,it won't matter whether you do or don't ,so I wouldn't.If you were going with a roller cam,there's often not much choice since there's a problem getting the right cam blanks for the "straight" firing order blanks and the 4-7 is all that they have or can get.