4 speed question

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I came by a 4 speed and I don't know what it is. It is a 4-speed that has the usual 4 ears to bolt to the bellhousing and another at the top so it has 5 bolts to attach to bellhousing. It also has a large piece coming down from the tailshaft in front of mount pad. This looks like a piece that a torque arm might bolt to that goes back to the rearend. It has 2-12-85 and the numbers 14075800 on the case. All three shift arms are on the cover and the input shaft has 14 teeth. It says GM on the case and tail housing case. I wish I had the ability to post a picture.:dunno Roy

Bobaloo

Well Known Member
All three shifters on the cover sounds like a Saginaw. Is it like this?

Attachments

• saginaw linkage.jpg
    saginaw linkage.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 83

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The shifters are located like that but there is a large cast arm that comes from the bottom of the tail shaft housing that is in front of the mount pad. Also as I said before it has 5 ears that bolt to the bellhousing. 4 in the normal position and one that is at the top. I was wondering how strong a transmission it is? Also the 14 tooth input shaft is odd. Do you think it could stand 6000 rpm powershifts?:D Roy

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Sounds like maybe a truck transmission. I've seen the bell housings that I think that trans would bolt to. Has the 5th bolt hole centered above the top two bolt holes. What is the diameter of the front bearing retainer? I think the typical car diameter is maybe 4 5/8". I could be wrong. Less than 5" for sure. Is it aluminum or iron?
Ross

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I had one of those bellhousings and just sold it last week. It is a big housing and will accomodate an 11" clutch. I assumed it was for a truck but have never seen the trans with the 5th mount. The 14 spline input is interestring because that is the same size as the S-10 T5 trans that I had planned to use behind a 265 or 283 build. the only problem is the biggest clutch plate I could find was a 9 1/2 " for an Astro. I read somewhere that some Jeep also used the 14 spline and had a bigger clutch but I haven't found it yet.:scratch

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The case is iron and the front bearing retainer is 4 3/4 inches. It could be 4 5/8 inches as I just laid a tape measure across and eyeballed it. From what Cecil says it probably wouldn't stand a lot of abuse. I could put it in the tow pickup with the 348 and just shift normally.;) I was hoping that I had scored a late model 4 speed that would be tough. A person that I talked to yesterday said he thought it was from a 85 or 86 Trans Am. I wouldn't know whether he was blowing smoke or not because I just am not that knowledgeable about anything past 1965.:scratch Roy