4 speed shifter--HELP???

smittys09

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have a 62 imp. 4sp. m21 tran. oem shifter handle & linkage , BENCH SEAT, does anyone know the part# for the HURST SHIFT HANDLE for this application and will the linkage body bolt up to the handle ?? THANX SMITTY

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
You have to buy the shifter and linkage for the Hurst application. Sorry...don't have any numbers.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Do you know what year Muncie 4 speed that you have?
I have all the numbers for the Hurst Competition Plus shifters and I have Hurst 4 speed shifter installation arms and rods to verify what works.
I sent you a message also
Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
There are 5 different Muncie transmissions from 1963 to 1974 and some of them have the same shifter and they have different installation kits with rods, arms and mounting plates.
Also the later year Muncies came with bolts to mount the shifter arms vs studs on the transmissions(the Hurst shifters are different -the rod and arm numbers for these two types of Muncie transmissions are not the same)

If your car did not come with a Munice from the factory you can still match up a Hurst shifter to fit the car.
Older used Hurst 4 speed shifters do not have a bolt on handles.
There are also Hurst 4 speed Super shifters in addition to the Hurst competition plus 4 speed shifters

I told Smittys09 that I would help him determine which Muncie 4 speed transmission he has. I have print outs of the Hurst shifter numbers for the 5 different years of transmissions. As many know here factory installed Borg Warner 4 speeds switched to Muncie transmissions in 1963.
For cars from 1959 to 1962 (that came with BW 4 speeds normally the Hurst for a 63 Chevy Muncie works when using a Muncie 4 speed in 59 to 63's. I have even have a Hurst 4 speed competition plus shifter used in a 1963 Chevy in my 57 Chevy that has a 64 to 65 Muncie 4 speed.transmission.

Paul