40 deluxe sedan with 348 - project

neilswheels

Well Known Member
Its been a while since I updated, mainly because Marco couldn't send update pics, and I couldn't get down to see him. But that just means there's more to show, so here goes:

After Marco made the engine mount, i was looking around for T5 stuff, and found threads about the tailshaft or bellhousing cracking when a front mount and tail mount are used, and that an intermediate/bellhousing mount is a good idea, so a little chat with Marco,and he knocked these up:
midmnt1.jpg
midmnt2.jpg

The Tail shaft mount for the Trans was just ahead of the bottom of the stock chassis x member, so Marco dropped it and extended it to take the Trans mount. It now looks like a stock Ford part.
DSC04969.JPG
We decided at the beginning that the TCI style front wishbone mount no longer worked with the way the car was going, so Marco made a new one, more in keeping with the 'stock' look that we were after. He used the original gearbox mount, cleaned it up, trimmed bits off, and added brackets for the wishbone tie rod ends. This will be mounted slightly further forwards than its original location, but it looks so right.
frontwishbnmnt3.jpg
DSC04968.JPG

Rearend now, because of the T5, we;re going open drive, so split wishbones and a torque bar.

this is the front mount for the wishbones, designed to look look and fit like a stock Ford chassis part, it also doubles up as a drive shaft loop and fits in the chassis just behind the tail shaft.

DSC04965.JPG
rearwishmnt1.jpg
Next is the torque bar. Marco spent alot of time thinking about design and function, and this is the result, I'm very happy.
Axle side mount:
torqaxlmnt1.jpg
Torque bar:

torqbar1.jpg

torque bar front mount is welded to the wishbone

Front end, front shock mounts. used a stock ford top mount, shortened it a bit for so-cal shocks, and then the bottom mount uses a 38 (I think, its been a while since i bought them) perchbolt with a tapered shock pin that bolts into the perch bolt friction shock mount, the idea being to keep it stock looking, and I didn't like the shackle plate TCI type bottom shock mount that I originally bought.

last, here's the rear shock mounts and torque arm bolted in. Bottom shock mounts are the ends of the rear wishbones.

Next, exhaust and floor, and if there's any money left, a bit of plumbing :)

Attachments

• torqbar.jpg
    torqbar.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
What kind of engine trans combination did you read about having problems? Early Corvettes were front and rear mounted along with a number of street rods I built with no problems?

Bill

neilswheels

Well Known Member
Hi Bill,

I read about a few, and to be a fair a few with no problems, but while we (Marco) was in there, why not! Better safe than sorry.

Thanks Don, I'm very happy with how its going.

neilswheels

Well Known Member
Popped down today, so a few picks of the bits fitted..
front wishbone mount

gearbox mount

rear wishbone mount

better pic of torque bar

intermediate trans mount

Front shock

rear shock

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I forget where I found this Neil but it may help you I.D. valve covers in the future without Brian's help. That's not to say you shouldn't go to someone that has the knowledge he does. He's always been right on!

Valve Covers.jpg

neilswheels

Well Known Member
Time for a little update. While the engine cleared the firewall fine with stock valve covers (early 58 on the tight side, which is why it cleared) my finned alli ones didn't, so the firewall received a light massage...

We also decided to raise the front an inch, the tyres rub on the arch lip really bad, and I cant afford tyres right now. I wont be surprised that once the fluids are in and the cars back together, that it will settle an inch, but i'll cross that bridge when i come to it.

then time to put a floor back in. I had fabbed and tacked together new rear seat and kickup panels a long time ago, Marco finish welded them for me, trimmed and fitted them,

..and then he made a new piece to go above the crossmember...

There's been some other stuff going on as well, like realising I had a miss match of clutch parts, and working out what i needed, then realising that making a clutch fork work with the 40 or 39 pedal assembly is going to be a pain. This isn't resolved yet, I could use an hydraualic release bearing, but for some reason I'm not keen on that, or its a slave cylinder on the clutch fork, which is looking like my favourite compromise, I just dont want to use the generic alli master/slave cylinder combos that you get of the shelf, i'd like something a bit 'older' looking. I've read that there's a cast steel Toyota slave you can use, but I cant find a master cylinder alternative at the moment, a bit more web trailing is needed.

I think the 40 will be coming home soon, Marco's just about done all I asked, the rest is up to me....

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I'm really impressed by the quality and craftsmanship of your work.making things looks original or factory shows off your skills.Bravo!!!!!!!....

neilswheels

Well Known Member
Thanks guys, I'm chuffed with the work Marco at Juarez Traditional Fabrication has done, something for me to aim at with the rest of it.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Hey Neil,
Looking really good, re your clutch assy, you will probably end up using hydraulic, adapting a slave to the 39/40 pedal assembly is no big deal. on my 38 was a late 60's Ford master and slave, I used a similar arrangement on my Deuce, alignment is the key.

Won't be long and you will be driving that old sedan.

Cheers