40 deluxe sedan with 348 - project

neilswheels

Well Known Member
I used to have a post on here about my little project, but looks like it got 'lost' in the site face lift, so here's a recap and update.

I bought a 40 Ford Deluxe Tudor Sedan about 8 years ago with the intention of adventually getting a W motor i it, but started off just getting it running, lowering it and fixing some floor rust. Well, one thing leads to another, and via this Forum i purchased a rebuilt 58 348 tripower motor. I was still looking at just getting the Flattie going and driving my 40, and although i made small steps forward, the progress has been slow to say the least.
So, about a month ago, after not touching the 40 for a couple of years, i've deided to farm it out, i'd rather have some one else finish it and I can drive it, than have it sitting there going no where while I try to find the time to do it myself.
As part of this, it's going to get the 348 fitted with a Chevy 5 speed manual box.
I have a couple of questions, can i use a smallblock starter motor? What headers are available? I've looked at sanderson , can only see block huggers or very expensive 'fenderwell' type, anything else out there? I read that someone was modifying small block headers using W laser cut flanges, anyone know anymore about this? Can I use a small block clutch throughout arm? Any other info appreciated. Here's a pic of how it is currently.

Photo0054.jpg348 crate.jpg

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
As to the starter,you'll need a big block starter and the large 168 tooth flywheel.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Hey Neil,

the offset starter works fine, what bell housing are you going to use as this may change your starter as well. I also think there are block huggers out there, but the stock 2 or 2 1/2" manifolds are pretty well like block huggers anyway.

good to see you back on the 40.

cheers

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nice looking project. My Dad had several 40 Ford flatheads, one of my favorites body styles.

Don

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would use a hydraulic throw out bearing set up. No linkage problems to worry about.

neilswheels

Well Known Member
Thanks people, Grub, I have an alli bellhousing, and have just read that the early motors had the starter mounting to the cast bell housing, later alli bellhousing motors had them on the block, so looks like with a 58 block and alli bellhousing, I have no starter motor mount..??
Scott, yeh, I was thinking about using a hydraulic bearing, but the guy I've taken it to seems happy working out the manual thing, plus then its one less thing to go wrong, and fit in the chassis where the exhaust is running..

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Hey Neil,

Does the block have any holes at all on the RHS rear near the sump mating surface ?, if not they could be drilled and tapped.

neilswheels

Well Known Member
bellhousing.JPG bellhousing (2).JPG Hi Grub, just dragged it all out from the various corners of the garage that it had been scattered to. Here's a couple of pics. Bellhousing appears to have nothing to fit the starter to, nor the block, but there are some holes tapped in the underside surface of the horizontal part of the block on the right of the photo as you see it. Maybe I could make a plate, bolt that up into there and then mount the starter to that?

Last edited:

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Hi Neil,

if you do a search you will find threads regarding the right starter, generally speaking the 168 tooth ring gear/flywheel is used with an offset starter mounting holes, if I remember correctly someone has used the 153 tooth and the straight starter holes, I am sure more guys will chime in, but generally the bolts go up vertically into the block, hope this helps.

cheers

neilswheels

Well Known Member
Little update, its not IN yet, but there seems to be plenty of room..

Attachments

• engine in 1.JPG
    engine in 1.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 61

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Neil,

with that much room you could fit a huffer under the bonnet (hood). :burnout

Looks good, want be long now. you should post some of the work you did on your floor etc, I am sure the guys would be interested.

Now what are you doing at the end of September ????? I heard there is a little do on in Great Bend Kansas. :dj

cheers

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Neil,

Now what are you doing at the end of September ????? I heard there is a little do on in Great Bend Kansas. :dj

cheers
Way to go Grub!!! We don't have anybody listed yet from England!!!!! We had 3 guys from Sweden in 2004!!!!!!!!!!!!!

neilswheels

Well Known Member
Went down to Marco's shop today Juarez traditional fabrication, and was greeted by the site of my 40 with the 348 in and tripower mocked up, looks killer.

It's almost like the 40 was made for this engine, it all seems to fit, a bit tight on the firewall on the passenger side, but room enough, and no mechanical fuel pump as its right on top of the engine mount, but thats about it, 5 speed fits a treat, mostly all under the stock floor, apart from the shifter mount, which will be tight against the bench seat, but I cant afford an s10 tail housing, and I'm more than happy with a crazy bent Hurst shifter, like the one for the bench seat 55 Chevy. Tmarco cut a bit out the bottom of the firewall whilst 'widdling' it in, but even this can go back in, with just a light mod to the lip where the tranns tunnel cover bolts up. Also decided to go for the model A rear crossmeber, so the chassis will be ready for the quick change when i can get the dosh together to build it up.

A few pics

neilswheels

Well Known Member
Oh, only other thing Marco did was swap the exhaust manifolds round to clear the steering box. Need to work out an alternator mount leading on from that as now the boss on the manifold is at the back of the engine..

Little question, the 40 linkage runs across the firewall to the fuel line side of the carbs. While this could be modified to work on the linkage side, we thought it would be cool to have it as it is, so is it possible to get a longer batterfly shaft for the center carb so we can put an arm on the other side?

Last edited:

neilswheels

Well Known Member
A little update, on my last visit to Marco's, we decided that rather then waste time and money finishing off the crossmember I'd pancaked only to take it out to fit a model A spring for the Quickchange in it's future, we'd get the right crossmember done now.
So I popped down to Marco's yesterday, the rear crossmember's been modified for the A spring using a combination of A and 40 crossmembers, and some clever fab work. Finished item looks like a stock ford piece, which is exactly what I wanted.

Marco's also started on the motormount. Nothing flash, just a nice clean mount, a little trimming to be done, but it's looking good.

Attachments

• DSC04716.JPG
    DSC04716.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC04791.JPG
    DSC04791.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 12
  • enginemnt - Copy.jpg
    enginemnt - Copy.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 12
  • rear crossmember.jpg
    rear crossmember.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

32chevy348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
"Kool Ride" 348 looks at home in there,Speedway has long carb shaft I got mine from there .