409 3 speed transmission

427John

Well Known Member
According to Cecil's documentation it appears the HD 3 speed is actually a Muncie trans instead of a Saginaw which I was unaware of I was under the impression all of the later 3 speeds were SaginawsWould I be accused of being a racist if I said they all looked the same to me?Cecil does it say whether not the Muncie trans was available with OD?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The HD 3 spd was RPO M13 until 69 when the MC1 replaced it as the HD option. Both were rated for all 396 and 427 engines but the MC1 was surely stronger.
The MY6 (GM's version of the Mopar A833) might be a good option if you can find one along with the bellhousing.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=670789
According to Cecil's documentation it appears the HD 3 speed is actually a Muncie trans instead of a Saginaw which I was unaware of I was under the impression all of the later 3 speeds were SaginawsWould I be accused of being a racist if I said they all looked the same to me?Cecil does it say whether not the Muncie trans was available with OD?
Other than the trucks in 80 to 87, I don't think manual OD (M10) was available in any car after 65 or so.

427John

Well Known Member
I'm certain I' seen 7 bolt side cover GM 3 speeds w borg warner style OD's I just don't know if it they were muncie or saginaw.What would be really cool would be a T-85 OD assembly mated to a T-10,4 speed w OD there was a guy back in the 60's making the necessary parts and there was a Hot Rod article on him and the transmissions he built,I think his name was Beatty.I had heard rumours that somebody was reproducing those parts for a while but with the proliferation of high performance manual overdrive transmissions it faded away.

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I had a 67 Impala 4 door 396 car with the 3 speed. I bought it from the original owner who said they ordered it that way because they were going to pull a boat and the 3 speed was listed as the heavy duty transmission. It wasn't a stripped down car, it had power steering brakes and air with a 12 bolt rear.

heddrik

Well Known Member
Thank you Mearl, do you know if it was a saginaw or a muncie? I know I'm weird wanting a 3 speed but it seems easier to do than cutting the floor and changing the column, especially if you can find an original on the column car.

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I don't remember which it was, I gave it away years ago. The only thing I have left from the car is the engine on a stand and the flywheel & bell housing, which are behind the 409 in my 63.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
One of you was wondering when the overdrive option disappeared. About 20 years ago, I bought a non running 66 Impala won with a 283/195 horse engine. It was a three speed, but a partially disassembled Saginaw 3 speed with the overdrive solenoid and some wiring was in the rear seat well. Also, the overdrive handle with the cable was still mounted on the bottom of the dash, and the OD switch was still on the carburetor. The car had a 12 bolt with 3.73 gears in it, no posi. I sold the car to someone else who wanted to race a Stock Eliminator class with it, he probably still has it,I haven't seen him in years. That's the latest overdrive app I ever heard of.

heddrik

Well Known Member
thanks to all for chiming in. Guess i ll keep sniffing around for a Muncie or heavy duty later saginaw til i find one, then worry about a bell housing. T 85 seem too rare and expensive.