409 Block

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
We'd have to see pictures to be certain, but these water jacket cracks are generally repairable. There are several approaches, but the "Lock=n=Stitch" method seems to be a preferred solution. This will devalue your block to most folks, but it is repairable. How much will be in the eye of the beholder :).

I'd recommend having your blocks cleaned and crack checked at your local machine shop. Might cost $100 per block but it gives the buyer more information about making an offer. Buying an unchecked block is a bit of a crap shoot (ask me how I know!) and the more info you can pass along the more interested parties you will attract.

How many blocks do you have that you'd sell?

Cheers! TomK

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I had a 64 409 block that was cracked on both sides I repaired at home a couple of years ago with muggy weld. I had nothing to lose since they want 2K to repair the block and more to remachine everything after heating the block to death. The welding went great, I also added a little A-B epoxy for insurance. Pressure tested the block for over a 1 hour period, no leaks. Total cost for the repair was around $80, then I sold the Arc welder I paid $100 for $200 so I am up $20.

1320dragmonza

I have two passenger blocks, one with the crack. Second I have a .030 over block machined and clearance for a stroker, this block has been repaired on both sides also has been pressured tested. Third is a standard Truck block which has been checked for cracks and has no issue.

I will be putting an ad up for those as well as all my other 409 parts, stock and performance pieces. Also will be selling a few 62 body parts.

Thanks for the help,

Bill

SuperStocker409

Well Known Member
Second I have a .030 over block machined and clearance for a stroker, this block has been repaired on both sides also has been pressured tested. Third is a standard Truck block which has been checked for cracks and has no issue. I will be putting an ad up for those as well as all my other 409 parts, stock and performance pieces. Also will be selling a few 62 body parts.

Bill,
where are you located and have a asking price for the blocks?