409 blocks cast after 1965

gearhead409

Well Known Member
last sat. my buddies and i was sitting around the old campfire (heating stove in their shop) shooting the bull about 409s and the subject came up. how could you tell if you had a 409 block, say cast in 1970? i thought i knew alot about 409s but i don't have the answer to this one! remember Fan's statement about 409 truck engines still being built into the 70s at the Tonawanda plant. i would even think car engines would still be cast after 65 for replacement engines. how could you tell from the casting if you had one of these blocks?

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Boy, thats a good question. Were the engines actually cast till 70? or were they available from G.M. stock they had stockpiled from 65? I dont think there will be a cut and dried answer, unless maybe we have a member that might have bought one from Chev. in the late 60s. These kind of questions cause too much stress. Gearhead, why dont you and your buddies sit around the fire and look at old Snap-On tool pin-up calandars instead of thinking up riddles? Time for my nap.

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Ronnie

you're going to laugh at this but there was a pin-up calandar on the wall,but we got tired of looking at it. 409s are more fun and don't cost as much!

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I seem to remember Fran talking about that way back when,,,,,,,
Maybe do a search here for that info,,,
Or look into all Frans posts,,,dq

Snap-on pin-ups,,,,,, hummmmm where did I stash that box ????:doh

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
by the numbers

I thought I saw an engine plant year end tally sheet in the "book By The Numbers" and it showed 348/409 production into 1972 as replacement HD engines. Don't know what casting numbers would be. I will look it up when I get home from work.

Russ348

Well Known Member
models916 said:
I thought I saw an engine plant year end tally sheet in the "book By The Numbers" and it showed 348/409 production into 1972 as replacement HD engines. Don't know what casting numbers would be. I will look it up when I get home from work.

Refering to CHEVY RUMBLE magazine Volume 4 Number 5 of May 2004 listing all
1958-1970 W-Motor and 1966-1970 Mark Series Big-Block HP Codes. The listings
for 409 W-Motors end in 1965. After 1965 the Motors cubic inch goes from
396 to 427.

Russ