409 Chevy Club of America

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Hi. How many of you were members of my club some 30 years ago? I know many of them were quite a bit older than I am, and several have passed on by now, just curious how many members of this fine Forum were doing this then,and remember us and that crazy Newsletter. It sure was fun at the time. Speak up and let's hear from all you former members.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Unfortunately not ......but.....I can remember reading articles in early super Chevy magazine’s...... reading about the 409 club ....... pictorals of Drag-racing at Great Lakes dragway ........and thinking you guys were some kind a rock stars........ One particular article written by Doug Marion discussing a 63 Z11 owned by Kirk Wright ...... it had some kind of Mural paint job with the leprechaun on the trunk .........And the experience of driving it on the streets and having everyone rubber necking at the sound of that big cam........ still ...............63 dream’n.............

Last edited:

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Always enjoyed the news letters Greg, you did a great job writing them. I was still in the process of building the 62 Belair in '87, took me 7 years, got it on the road in '92. Still have it . Phil, you mentioned the Midwest 409 club, I was an associate member of the Midwest Nostalgia SuperStocks, and ran a few races with them, not sure if they're one and the same.

Last edited:

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I remember getting the newsletter in the early 90’s when I began restoring my car. I was also a member of the “Gateway City Late Great Chevys Club” while in St. Louis during the 90’s.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
So glad to see that!! The hand addressed Newsletter envelope and the number on your membership card were in my wife's printing. She was a third or fourth grade teacher those days,pre 1990. I had done it so long, we had our son and daughter about that time(he's 31, she's 28),she was a stay at home mom during those years,I got a real excellent job with the City of Los Angeles Department of General Services, fixing cars,trucks,and vans.I also was part time youth pastor at our church at that time, and, while we were largely unsupported at that time, it was good because the older status quo pretty well left us alone,we didn't make any requests or demands on them, so we did our thing, I taught Hi School Sunday School(remember when churches offered that?) and we had a cool midweek meeting. I had a pretty good assistant who was definitely destined to go places, so when a race weekend or a family vacation came along, he always took over for me. Problem was, from 4:15 AM until 10 PM, I was busy doing something, and in early 1988,I went through a bad case of burn out. That's no fun. I decided to farm the Club out for a new successor, and Mitch Akers stepped up and did it. Problem was, to do the Newsletter and the mailing list too up 20 hours a week or so. Now. Mitch and I still call occasionally, we're still friends, he's come up to Irwindale with either the '63 Bel Air I sold him some 15 years ago, or his blue 60 Impala which will really impress you,and it's been a lot of fun ever since. Life is busy,it has it's priorities, but it's to be lived to the fullest. In fact, I feel that if I haven't learned something today,I've wasted the day.