409 Corvette

I decided to resurrect a 1992 project interrupted by marriage. I am installing a 409 (424 ci) into a 1968 vette convertible I have had for many years. It will be mated to a M22 Muncie with 11" clutch in an explosion proof bellhousing (due to an incident many years ago). I started this project when the current intakes and heads were unavailable. I found an old truck 409, purchased Ross high silicon 0.120" over pistons, a Comp cam 280 cam and beeg stainless steel valves from Australia. I had hardened exhaust seats put into the old truck heads and ported the heads. I adapted the original intake for a 750 cfm Holly and installed a HV/HP Melling oil pump. I had the rods shot peened and the lower ends cut and honed. I am using rotating pins with keepers, and the usual balance job with those 1200 gm pistons.

I just found this forum, and I hope to garner some info as I go along. If I had it to do over again, I would have used a 454 steel crank and rods, but hindsight is always terrific.

Howdy,

Jim:crazy

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Sounds like a cool project!:beerbang
Even without a stroker crank that engine should move that Vette really well.

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome Welcome

:? Welcome to the site. Have you put an exhaust system in the Vette yei?

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Welcome to the site Jim,:clap Like the guys said we all need to see pictures as you go along on your project.:crazy:cheers

Exhaust

:? Welcome to the site. Have you put an exhaust system in the Vette yei?

Maybe I can address all comments at once. First, the Vette is sans engine and trans at this point. Both are on stands at the moment. I am redoing the fiberglass and interior that suffered from 18 years of being parked behind the barn. I am doing vinyl repair myself, trying to hold costs in line.

The exhaust will be a modified BB Hooker headers and sidepipes that I will coat silver to avoid all rust issues (no chrome). I will make the head plates myself. All this I already have in hand, thank goodness, as I just saw the price of a new set.

I have an L88 hood on the Vette, so I expect no clearance issues at all. I have rebuilt the brakes (SS inserts in claipers), and will use Weldwheel wire wheels if still available.

My biggest concern right now, and always has been, the heavy pistons. I will limit RPM to 6000 rpm to help avoid broken rods. 1035 gm pistons are a new world for me. I am decking the heads ).010" right now, and I have to go through the valve clearance issue yet again (had some pits on the deck surface). I have to buy some spacers for the valve covers due to the roller rockers hitting the covers. I will "chain" the motor and transmission mounts to avoid constant breakage (been there, done that).

I am installing Natami carbon fiber racing seats and four point belts. A Vette convertible provides little comfort in the safety department, but I have wrecked it so many times in the past, I am happy wrapping my a$$ in fiberglass. It absorbs a lot of energy.

I love the 409, as it was my first dream engine. when I was 15, my 15 year old neighbor got a 63 Aqua 409 SS with Aqua interior. I wanted that car so badly I have dreamed of it for all these years, but my dad wasn't rich, so I will settle for the 409 Vette to match my 57 T'Bird. One for show, one for go.

Nice site, by the way.

Jim

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome Jim, You don't need the chains, Energy Suspension #31114G provides a captive mount that won't come apart if the rubber fails. Autozone stocks them , but a bit pricey. E-bay cheaper. Had a buddy with a 62 or 63 Vette, the stock alternator mounting was above the hood line. Just some thoughts.

Ray