409 crack repair

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I presume the head bolt's go down way beyond the cracked area, and not pull on area between crack and top of deck.Also will that crack affect deck surface as someone else asked about this also , but no one has responded.:dunno:dunno
The deck surface is fine there is no tork on ware the crack was

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
That, is a classic example, of having the exhaust, too small, for that size engine.:eek:barf:roll

hogmotors

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
At the risk of beating a dead horse. Welding & stiching both work.
I have welded 3-4 blocks with the Nickel rod & a buzz box. Grind a V, run about a 1/2" bead, peen thoroughly & weld another. No leaks & if you have some, you can reweld. The peening is the important part. These were all outside only.
No, they were not preheated.....I'm in FL.
I feel certain that all of these were all freeze damage. They were pushed out right at the bottom of the deck. All of them have been running for a 1-4 years.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Gordon, That is some good info. Haven't seen you on here much lately. A few of us from the southeast are talking about meeting up sometime in the next few months and we'd love to get to finally meet you.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
IMG_0135.JPG I pressure tested the block today and gave it 45 PSI and no leaks :deal I did put some JB weld over the rest of the pins and will paint later

Wrencher

I'll be d**med, I thought I was the only one to see this. Mine came out of a boat that didn't get drained, cracked on both sides worse than that. I considered stiching it back together, but I found a guy that said he could weld it better than new. He used a very interesting process. He poured his own arc rod out of used 010 high nickel small blocks, then put the block in a (very) large kiln used to cure clay sewer pipes. once the block was hot, he would lay down a bead in the "v" of the crack (he ground it out previously) with his homemade rod. He repeated the heating and welding steps until he was satisfied. I took it home, ground it down and then bolted on the intake and a new set of headgaskets. I capped all the coolant outlets and filled it with solvent, then applied 30 psi of air to it through a set of block-off plates with tire valves in 'em on the waterpump outlets. No leaks! The best part was the block and heads were dead straight, I didn't have to deck or mill any of it. I was able to save an otherwise perfect 'QB' block. Worked for me.

Hans

Mark Steele

Well Known Member
Hi Hans,
A great report on the welding of the 409 block. This next week I'm going to an engine builder who welds cracked (same place) 409 blocks. I bet he will value your post.
Hey, I really like your Vette, and especially the B-17 in the back ground. Last month while in Florida the, "The Fantesy of Flight" airplane collection. I'm also an airplane guy. I highly recommend.
Regards, Mark Steele

Wrencher

Sad story on the B-17 in my Avatar. The week after I took a ride in her, she burned up in Akron, OH.

"Liberty Belle" was at Mather Field for an FAA check flight and pilot cert, and we got some pictures with her and a real nice P40E that was flying with her.
She had an in-flight fire in the radio mans area that they were not able to control, landed in a corn field and all passengers and crew were able to exit the aircraft. Sadly, they were far from any fire personnel and they had to watch her burn to the ground.

Wrencher

Sad story on the B-17 in my Avatar. The week after I took a ride in her, she burned up in Akron, OH.

"Liberty Belle" was at Mather Field for an FAA check flight and pilot cert, and we got some pictures with her and a real nice P40E that was flying with her.
She had an in-flight fire in the radio mans area that they were not able to control, landed in a corn field and all passengers and crew were able to exit the aircraft. Sadly, they were far from any fire personnel and they had to watch her burn to the ground.

Wrencher

Wrencher

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I got a chance years ago to go see the Sentimental Journey and crawl through it. Admittedly, I don't know that much about WWII planes except there are certain ones I really like. Mostly fighters. I get a chance to fly once in awhile with my brother in law, no real training on my end though, just pull up and level off, and cheat with GPS. I guess I should know more by now. Anyway, nice vett and plane Wrencher. What area of Norcal are you in? If you do some of the fly ins etc, you may know my brother in law.

Jeff

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hey Brian, I have a new lock-n-stitch kit I bought a few years ago then never used it. My kit doesn't seem to have enough lock pins to do a big job. Could you record the size and number you use? I've got a DVD that came with it but haven't watched it yet. Depending on you to provide suggestions after you finish. Thanks
Ronnie,
This crack was about 9-1/2" long and took like 74 pins

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5

Here's a link to a post about that B-17 fire...
http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/arrg-b-17-crashes-no-serious-injuries.18100/#post-152031

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
This is some great information on the 409 crack repair. Several years ago a good friend of mine bought a truck engine that was cracked on both sides of the block. No one in our area would weld the block and we didn't know of the stitching pins. So, while the engine block was on the stand we took Moroso ceramic sealer and poured it into the coolant passage, crack down, and heated the crack slightly with a propane torch(figured it would draw the sealer into the crack). After that we drilled the ends of the crack and pressed in JB Weld coated pins. Then we v'd out the cracks on the outside of the block and filled with JB Weld. His thought was that if it didn't work, he needed a new block anyway. Well he's been driving his '62 Impala covertible for four years, put quite a few miles on it with no leaks at all. Guess he has been lucky so far.

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Was working at the Portland airport some years ago and we watched a B17 take off soon to return with one engine on fire, luckily fire crews put it out before much damage was done.:clap