409 engine stamp pad # question.

Woody62

Well Known Member
Ok... here we go. I have a 409 block. The casting number is 3788068. There is no Julian date on the back of the block. Just a CFD. On the pad next to number 2 cylinder is stamped 4113169. Can’t fine any information on this. Anyone out there with information would be appreciated. Thank you

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
That 4113169 number looks like it might be a vin,but there should be a "code" or a sequence of numbers as well,such as QA or QB.Normally the lack of numbers on the pad indicates either a replacement block or one that has been significantly "decked".If the block was decked enough to remove the "code",the vin would have had to be restampled.If only that block could talk,we'd know the whole story.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
PICTURES!!!!!
Picture of the data pad where the assembly date and VIN would be. Julian dates didn't start until 63 production...probably Aug. 62. The date code will start with a letter and then followed by numbers.
These are what we need to see to help you.

Woody62

Well Known Member
Cool. Yeah... it’s kind of crazy.... should say...QB? Or so I have researched. The CFD is interesting with no Julian number so...? Thank you for your input.

Woody62

Well Known Member
My uncle bought the car is 1965 from the dealership he worked at as an apprentice. The paperwork from the dealership, which I still have, had that number as the stamp in the front of the block. In 1968 my uncle pulled the engine and subsequently made a 427 out of it. So yes, the block has been decked and punched 60 over. I probably should have made that known before. I do know that the car came with dual quads and solid cam and lifters. The history and old pictures came with my purchase. In my researche I just have never seen that type of number.