409 External Dimensions

427John

Well Known Member
He mentions a Stovebolt, so I'm guessing his '56 pickup has a 6 cylinder in it now.
In post #11 he mentions it currently has a 283 in it.The numbers Cecil listed are consistent with the numbers shown in the Chevrolet Performance Manual put out by Hot Rod Magazine in the early 60's.They actually had an illustration of the outlines of the sbc overlayed by the outlines of the W motor showing the differences in dimensions.If I had a way to scan it I would post it.

Why are you moving the motor mounts and therefore the engine forward 2 inches?Are there concerns with firewall clearance?This will make an already front heavy vehicle more weight biased to the front.

I thought I'd give myself a little more space between the engine and the firewall, I didn't think 2" would make that much difference in total. With Aluminum heads and intake, my engine weight should be pretty close to an all cast iron SB.

427John

Well Known Member
Your probably right about the weight being close but unfortunately moving the engine forward amplifies the effect like using a lever.I personally would leave just enough clearance to prevent contact and be willing to massage the firewall a minor amount to gain it if necessary.