409 for sale

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I saw one of our members post a craigslist ad for a 64 409 motor...it comes with a block, heads, rods, crank, pistons, and a camshaft...the owner was going to build the motor many years ago and has abandoned the project, it's been sitting protected for 10 years...all the parts are coded for a 340 hp 64 chevy...one thing that concerns me is that one of the press in stud bosses broke and was welded...is this a cause for concern...if I do buy it I certainly install screw in stud...he's asking 5200 but I'm sure he's flexible...any thoughts from the local gurus would be appreciated...

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
That one head may be questionable,but 817 heads aren't hard to find if you need one.I'd say go for it.You aren't going to use the stock cast pistons ,and I wouldn't use the stock rods with your heavy foot.That cam could be useful as a door prop.There are much better modern grinds,even for a stock type 340 horse.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm kinda leery of buying the whole package but would rather buy just the block...I can't see this guy selling a block and then sit on the rest of the parts...what's the going price of a 409 block, I'm just cutting my teeth on these W motors...

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
For some of us the best 409 blocks are the lightly used truck blocks, often with low miles and low RPMs. A good crack free standard bore truck block that has been cleaned and checked goes for $1500 - $2500. You can make up for the compression drop with your choice in pistons.

It's getting real hard to find a good passenger block to build from, I guess we blew them up over time :). So those with a heritage (i.e., a QB stamped block indicating the dual quad factory build for that year) and in good shape are more rare. Haven't seen a good standard bore passenger block that I could afford for some time now...

Jack would be a good source for price, he generally buys them at a certain price point and offers those to his customers. I've sold him a few blocks in the past and he knows value well.

Every know and then you get lucky while hunting for W parts. I found a recycler who had a 1965 C60 that had a low mileage (21,000) 409 that I was able to snag out of it. It was standard bore and came apart easily. The block and crank were the best parts, but I had the 333s cleaned up and reassembled as a test for a certain machine shop.

Cheers!
TomK

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
thanks tom, I'm just tryinng to get a feel for the W stuff, I know big block chevies pretty well but now it's all new to me...agreed, jack is the man to go to for this stuff...we talk every few weeks and the stuff that comes out of that mans mouth make my head spin, he throws numbers around like I'm supposed to be able to follow him...I truly enjoy talking to him but it's an aquired are I believe...don't call jack at the end of a bad day...:hide

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
59K9,

Private message me your telephone number, I know a well known 409er in Valrico unless you already know of him, unless you feel comfortable posting the telephone number in this thread.

I bought the 63 409/425hp from him two years ago and at the time he had 6 or 7 409 QB's for sale and bunches of 409 parts as he's getting out of racing.

He wants too sell everything.

Plus he has 50+ years of 409 knowlegde and is a GREAT person.

Ted

20170502_174649.jpg

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
hey ted, that would be great to know someone local with all the knowledge he has, selling parts is a bonus...sure, my phone number is 813 267 1999...have him call me yesterday if possible...rob

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
ted, I got a text from your buddy and called him, had a great conversation only to find his sense of humor is as dark and twisted as mine...he's gonna root around and get back with me in a few days...I'm looking forward to meeting him, thanks for the introduction...rob

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Rob,

Glad you guy's got to talk and you live so close too each other as he's in east Valrico.

I was in a bad car wreck 15 years ago and I told my wife we're selling the harley's and I'm getting a 409 as you know the Tampa Bay area has grown so much and it's not even safe too ride out in Plant City anymore.

I remember back in the day Clayton Plaza in Brandon was the only store and the rest was orange groves and strawberry farms those were the days.

Anyway he was one of the first 409ers that was anwsering all my questions without hesatation as prior too that I had my last 409 25 years prior ( now it's been 40 years ).

If your really going too get into 409's you've just found 50+ years of knowledge and the honey hole for blocks, parts or complete engine.

Your going too love him as again he's a GREAT person.

But he doesn't like BS he's just a straight shooter and honest.

Plus I like your avatar.

.BUDDY LOVE.jpg

This is Buddy Love he was with us 13.5 years.

.20181031_150604[1].jpg

This is Runner he is 1 year old.

Keep us posted if you buy and motors or parts from him and we love pictures on this website.

Happy Motoring!!!!!!

Ted

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
buddy love and runner are beautiful dogs tom, I just love the breed...my avatar is of my boy, dutch...he's awesome, knows me better than I know myself...hit titanium tooth scares people when out in public...
I had a great conversation with Gordon, he's a strange bird as am I...we chatted about a few things in common and had a few laughs...he's gonna call me once he clears a path to the back of the garage...I'm looking forward to having a W motor buddy close at hand...I was apaintting contractor for 37 years and know I painted clayton plaza at least once...funny stuff, brandon has blown up, I avoid driving there...I've got 3 harleys and am selling them off, like you mentioned, no safe place to ride...my best friend was killed out by the groves in lakeland...a drunk driver t boned him...im sure you'll see me post about what I get from Gordon...thanks Tom:salute