409 Fuel Injection?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hey guys, I was going through my old LGC mags and came across these pics in the July 88 issue. They were supposed to follow up with more info in the next issue but I couldn't find it. Is anyone familiar with this system? Looks like an airmeter on a regular intake drilled for injectors with an injector pump/ fuel distributor above the waterpump.:scratch

Attachments

• 409FIC.jpg.jpg
    409FIC.jpg.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 279

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Cecil, i saw this too, i don't think anyone came up with the answer. looks like some kind of early gas fuel injection?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I know its hard to tell from the pics but it is a timed injection system apparently chain-driven from the cam. The drive housing is a cast or machined housing which is mounted between the waterpump and the block. The waterpump is bolted through the housing into the block like the early corvette front engine mount. It looks like the housing extends down and around the crank, but I dont see a balancer or pulley. I can't tell how the water pump was driven though as the fan drive flange sticks out way ahead of the balancer by the thickness of the housing which looks to be about one and a half inches-quite a way out there for a balancer pulley. Something must be missing. The injector pump looks a lot like a diesel injector pump.
I apologize for the quality of the pic but I couldn't get it to load with better quality.
:dunno

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Does anyone remember the early Oldsmobile 350 diesel? Injection pump reminds me of those. The picture is fuzzy and so is my memory. I don't think the injection pump would like gas though, not enough lubrication. Maybe they were making a W into a diesel? I hope not. :dunno