409 Glass fuel filter bowl

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I looked at the Assembly Manual earlier this afternoon, and was surprised to see that it shows the filter mounted at a 45 degree intentional tilt. On the single carb 409 it is shown at the rear of the carb

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well, it is certainly all a bit confusing some 50+ years after the fact, isn’t it? The Assembly manual of the L31, L33 sheet 5.0., does show the filter at the rear of the single carburetor, with the incoming fuel line routed from the front, and the return at the rear. I have never seen an actual car this way, just what the book shows.

I couldn’t find a glass filter for the 327 in the manual (men can not read directions nor instructions, so it could easily be there...), and the 2 bbl. 283 did not have one shown.

I was the District Service and Parts Manager for several import auto manufacturers for over 40 years, and we did not have anything like the Assembly Manual on the GM vehicles. They are just lperfect for our use!

FYI, there are a couple of sheets in the manual that don’t seem to align perfectly
to what I have on my 2x4 409, but It is just amazingly helpful in sorting out the ‘work’ of the two previous owners.

Chip

Kickstarting another old thread, but that is the beauty of this forum -- basically a living, breathing historical document for all new and future new owners to learn from :appl

Two Questions:

1. On page three of this thread, "Wintertexan" posted a pic of his return line glass bowl filter. Can others verify that is the exact type of filter that my 409/425 came with? - Did all 409s have the return lines, or just the 425?

2. Looking at purchasing an original, correct AC Delco filter just like the one WIntertexan shows. Assuming no cracks or damage...are there any risks or drawbacks associated with getting an original one that's 50 years old as opposed to new, never used reproduction? I'm the type that places high value on originality...this piece I'm looking at is considerably more expensive than a repro, but it would be worth it to me.

Thoughts?

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Kickstarting another old thread, but that is the beauty of this forum -- basically a living, breathing historical document for all new and future new owners to learn from :appl

Two Questions:

1. On page three of this thread, "Wintertexan" posted a pic of his return line glass bowl filter. Can others verify that is the exact type of filter that my 409/425 came with? - Did all 409s have the return lines, or just the 425?

2. Looking at purchasing an original, correct AC Delco filter just like the one WIntertexan shows. Assuming no cracks or damage...are there any risks or drawbacks associated with getting an original one that's 50 years old as opposed to new, never used reproduction? I'm the type that places high value on originality...this piece I'm looking at is considerably more expensive than a repro, but it would be worth it to me.

Thoughts?

The housing and glass bowl is so close to the original that it wouldn't be noticed but buy the real "authoritarians". The problem is the filter element. The original is stone and the last one I had went with the 62 409 I recently sold. I should have taken it out! But if you are using "racing gas" it is so dark in the bowl that the pleated paper filter element might not be noticeable but only to a few people.
Robert

Don, I can simply replace the gasket, can I not?

Not familiar with the glass bowls, as I am currently running a Wix, cylinder-shaped filter. It works fine, but as I mentioned, I prefer going with original looking components whenever possible.

I do appreciate your inputs

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I never experienced any leakage but the car was a show car in AACA thus only driven to and from the trailer plus I always used racing gas and that is not an ethanol product.
Robert

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
The racing gas tends to foul the cold range plugs in my opinion so I put a set of 46 heat range in the motor but the plug boot covered the numbers but the black oxide finish of the plugs was all that was looked at or noticed:D
Robert

Junky

Well Known Member
I have seen "reproduction" cork bowl gaskets, that are as original as anything can get.. cork is cork.. As for the "stone" that is the filter, I have also seen them NOS on eBay, however, the sellers are extremely proud of them and it is reflected in the asking price. I have also found them at swap meets, and sometimes they can be bought reasonably. I have been using the paper cartridge in my 327 (filter is the same) and have never experienced any issues with it. For the most part, as it has been said, the reproduction vs. the original, the differences are slight, and where it is tucked under the air cleaner, I doubt that most would even give it a second look.

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have both an original and a reproduction. At a glance they are identical. Closer inspection shows a difference in the securing wheel which tightens the bowl to the assy. They are different, but the same design, and the difference is obvious.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Cecil I was thinking after being around a couple of the old glass fuel filters that they were a “stone” not bronzed and maybe just a tad bigger. I wish I had pulled it out of the 62 but it was sold right off the showfield!

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The correct filter is an AC GF 149. I bought an extra off of eBay not long ago.

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
As to the question was the return line used only on the 425 hp the return line was used on all 409's from 63 to 65