Sad News :( 409 Godfather passes

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
We lost another of our 409 brothers.
Paul Wright of Akron died friday night.

He was one of the earliest guys to drop 454 cranks into W's. Used to run circle tracks for ever with his 09's. For a while he used a Z-11 top half.

He was a partner in P&S foundries. They made the alloy ZL-1 blocks for Yenko and all the Pro-Stock guys after GM quit making them.

He made an alloy SBC for Chevrolet and made the first Mopar pro stock blocks for Wayne County Speed Shop.

He tricked up heads for Warren Johnson when they first expanded the bore spacing on the BBC's.

Brilliant guy. Was an honor to know him.

Bob

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Very sorry to hear about this. Strangely enough, earlier this morning I stumbled upon my October 1975 Popular Hot Rodding mag with the article that featured a bunch of his 409 stuff and re-re-read it for the first time in many years. Then I see this on here tonight.

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I read that same magazine close to ten years ago. Since I am only about thirty minutes from Akron was I able to locate and meet him. He was no longer involved in 409 engines but was really interesting to talk with about him racing the 409. As Bob said he had a history of being innovative. He was still working on engines and was also making roller rockers for someone at that time. I saw him a few times after that at some swap meets where he getting rid of some engines he no longer needed and he was always open and interesting to talk with.

Sorry to see him go.

Adam Castle

I have that Popular Hot Rodding as well. Great information. Pretty sure its from 1975 but would have to check. Definitely a die hard 409 fan-RIP.