409 head bolts

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
63 409 425hp. Engine completely rebuilt about 10 yrs ago. I finished installing in my car before the winter. Ran good just running for about a minute at a time. Cooling system not installed yet. Installed cooling system with antifreeze and this spring started it ran terrible.
Water getting into the oil. Pressurized cooloing system and holds 13-14 lbs pressure. Hear what sounds like a very slight hissing from drivers side head. Do all the head bolts need thread sealer? Have not removed the heads yet.

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Check the exhaust manifold bolts first you have two per side the long ones that go into water. I have in the past got by without sealer on the head bolts but the bolts go into water so it is a no brainer to use sealer on them

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
He is getting water in the oil. The exhaust bolts wouldn't cause that. I found that out in 1964 when I took the exhaust manifolds off my 58 348 Impala!!!!!!

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Blown head gasket, or a Crack, somewhere.:doh:eek1 Hopefully, leaky Intake gasket, around water passages.:pray

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
In 1998 - I rebuild my 62 380 -409 engine in my 1962 Impala original 690 heads (heads were not crack checked).:furious
First 5 minutes of running the rebuilt engine water in oil after pulling valve covers to check the solid lifter rocker settings -heads were cracked. :doh
welded heads :weldproblem fixed -except for pulling engine and replacing on a 0 miles frame off restoration

--never again :burnout
Paul

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
Just thinking..do the intake manifold bolts need thread sealer? The service manifold does not mention anything. Also any thoughts on using the Felpro head gasket kit. I. Plan the use arp bolts and can the old ones.
Thanks

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
Brought the heads to a machine shop. They called today and said the water was leaking out of the mountings for the rocker arm studs. They previously were pinned, and when the screw in studs were but in they had a very fine leak under pressure. They are determining the best fix. What have people found to be the best sealer for the head bolt threads? I noticed arp sells their own sealer,

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I just opened a tube of the ARP thread sealer. I think its the same as the teflon pipe thread sealant that I picked up at NAPA. Used that up and needed more anyways.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I had one set of 690's that leaked thru the roll pin holes. Tony Shafer of Day Automotive repaired them for me. Drilled out all the roll pins and pulled all studs. Drilled the bosses for screw-in studs. You MUST use big block studs as they are longer and will be below the hole left by the roll pin holes. Then LOTS of ATV or whatever you use.
Then put the heads back on, fired up the engine and broke it in.

july2849

Well Known Member
Locktight head bolt and water jacket sealer-hands down on every head bolt-do not apply to tip of the bolt-wwgrainer will deliver it to your door if there is not a grainger close. Torque to 65# All bolts

tenxal

Well Known Member
You've got two areas to address: sealer on the rocker studs and sealing the pin holes.

I use red Loctite on the rocker stud threads. For the pin holes, either JB Weld or stick weld them with a high nickel rod like Ni99. I've also seen the pin holes tapped and a Loctited Allen head set screw used.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Does anyone have a picture of the pin holes being discussed. I know what they are (mine are JB welded) but not everyone here does. I want to be sure people are able to learn and gain as much knowledge as possible. Thanks!

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Does anyone have a picture of the pin holes being discussed. I know what they are (mine are JB welded) but not everyone here does. I want to be sure people are able to learn and gain as much knowledge as possible. Thanks!

Didn't I send you a picture of some brazed shut?