409 headers for dragster

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
#64
Show cars pn 2290ps for stock size[1.94] intake,2290pe for the stock size 1.67 exhaust valves.The next size up.2.09 intake pn 2293pl,exhaust size 1.725,2293pe.Then there's the 2.19 stock size for the hp 409's at pn2292pis.When you enlarge the seats for bigger valves,be sure to enlarge the bowls just under the valves to about 85 percent of the new seat size,and blend them into the ports.This alone will give you about 35-40 more horse power.
 
Last edited:

Howard Hull

Well Known Member
#65


I now have 1.94 I and 1.67 E, SS valves in 333 heads, Intake valves were undercut , heads pocket ported to match larger valves. Going to try a ceramic clutch and have switched to Ford RAM pressure plate. Had my Chevy flywheel redrilled to accept Ford pattern and rebalanced, even the new pressure plate was 19 grams off and had to be balanced, The past 3 years I have been using Chevy 3 finger pressure plates and shortening the fingers to miss the Ford throw out bearing retainer shaft, which is 1 3/8", and I was still having interference problems and breaking the fingers and found a crack in the last pressure plate. I am glad to replace that cracked pressure plate, hate to think about shifting at 6500 RPM with a time bomb by my toes.
Planning to get it all together to run at Toutle on Father's Day.




t from my iPhone


 

Howard Hull

Well Known Member
#66
This


t
This is the #3 piston , if you enlarge the picture you will hundreds of tiny marks on top of piston, and look at notch and see imbedded metal fragments, It is now the opinion that the engine swallowed something, that bounced around the piston and went out the exhaust valve, the bent the push rod,(see previous post with bent push rod). There are no marks on the head. so my 1st therapy about stuck valve cause by boiling engine on a hot day was probable not correct.
So another day at the race track.
 

Howard Hull

Well Known Member
#68
I Was at Toutle doing a test and tune. I have the engine back together with larger SS valves and pocket porting and it sounded really good. And new Ford pressure plate with ceramic clutch disc. I made one easy pass to see if things were going to work, and a second pass and every thing as working good until on the return road when the front axle broke. I was just doing 98 MPH. God is good. After getting home and on closer inspection the front axle looks to be made from exhaust tubing, this dragster was made in 1959. New axle being made out of .250 wall thickness. Will be ready for Billetproof Vintage drags last week end in Aug. Hope to see ya there.
 

Attachments

Howard Hull

Well Known Member
#78
Here I am welding up new front end and rolling dragstert out of shop. The new front end came Ron Pope at Tbucket@comcast and EZTbucket.com, He gave a rush order and I had the front end at my door in 10 days . Also Ron at Auto Spring in Oregon also has an office in Tacoma , Washington, "Right Spring". He said generally takes 4 weeks for a spring and again in ten days a 24" reversed eye spring at my door in ten days. Some nice people if you need help
At the track.
Squaring off against the Scotty muffler dragster. We did not use the tree, starter did an arm drop for start, just like the old days.
I am trying to get the video to work. Will post when I get it figured out.
 

Attachments

Last edited:
Top