409 headers for dragster

Howard Hull

Well Known Member
Kevin:

Arlington is a cackle fest, It was an active race track back in the day, now just a large car show with 20 AA/fuelers and lots of race cars plus 300 hot rods.
I plan on going to the Riverdale 1/8 mile Race track in Toule , and will have some time slips there. It will depend on the weather, out here in the Pacific NW.
Howard

Howard Hull

Well Known Member
I can't get the video of the 409 running to down load. Here is a picture of lastest pressure plate attempt, but it would not disengage either, so will pull motor out now to work on pressure plate for the fourth time.
Tried again still can't down load video

Attachments

• video 409 running 001.JPG
    video 409 running 001.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 64

Howard Hull

Well Known Member
After a lot of looking , we discovered the pressure plate fingers were hitting the throw out bearing retainer shaft, when the clutch was pushed in, remember this is a chevy flywheel and pressure plate with a Ford clutch and transmission. The 1st pictures shows the throw out bearing retainer shaft hitting the pressure plate fingers. Next we are cutting a 1/16th " off each finger. Will put this back in the dragster and tell you how it all turns out.

Attachments

• 409 repair.jpg
    409 repair.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 81

Howard Hull

Well Known Member
DSCN8462.JPG DSCN8469.JPG DSCN8459.JPG I have been running the 409 at Toutle, have been unable to control wheel spin, by best run was a high gear start. And ran a 7.65 and aDSCN8467.JPG 108 MPH 1/8th mile track. It is always fun at the race track. The first outing was on father's day. Then these pictures are another test and tune. It is always nice when a lot of family members come to join in on the activities.DSCN8465.JPG I wish you hear her run at full song, flawless and never misses a beat. Will be at Toulte for Billetproof Aug 23rd, Be there .

Howard Hull

Well Known Member
I need a water pump for dragster, this one making noise. anyone have a used one ?
Call me at 253.753.3890 with price shipped to 98328.
thanks Howard

Howard Hull

Well Known Member
Thanks for all the 409 friends. This is great group of guys, I got the water pump in the mail before I even paid for it. Went to Billetproof race and had a great day. Go to Billetproof facebook and see me race a twin engine dragster, Great smoke show

Howard Hull

Well Known Member
Was at Toutle ,Billetproof, Eruption last Sunday, great day of Vintage racing, the 409 developed a miss, first time in 3 years. Pulled a valve cover and found this , one bent intake push rod and one push rod thru rocker arm, both on #3 cylinder. It was 97*, I boiled over on 1st run. Suspect seized valve, maybe bent valve ,caused bent push rod, but push rod thru rocker? these are stock pushrods and rockers, using VR-1 oil w/ 13% zinc and 14% phosphous , I used a hydraulic cam so the engine can only rev to 6,500, Going to do leak down test soon.
Probably need to take heads off and check all the valves for scuff marks from not enough oil or not enough zinc. Any thoughts greatly appreciated .
Howard

Attachments

• 409 pushrod.JPG
    409 pushrod.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 20

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I've seen that happen on a few small block Chevys and Mopars that weren't anywhere near a track,and this was back before the lac of zinc was ever a possible factor. Maybe a valve guide too tight from the overheat?

Howard Hull

Well Known Member
I use a radiator for extra volume of water, and found the thermostat frozen shut, that plus the 97* day, explains my over heating problem, which thinned my oil, which lead to seized valve, which caused bent push rod, well that's my theory. Feel free to blows holes in it.
I am thinking of going to stainless valves, will that help?
Are there different grades of push rods ? will 348 work? If 348 not good does any one have 409 pushrods?
I am going to change to 20/50 oil same high zinc level.
Look forward to your response.
Howard

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Measure a couple of your existing push rods,then check with somebody like Comp Cams for and .080 thick hardened 5/16 push rod. The 348 and low performance 409 engines used the same push rod.The stainless valves are a good idea,just remember that you'll want 1/2 a thousandth more clearance at the valve guide/stem due to the different expansion charistics of the metal.Gut that old thermostat and just use the outer ring as a kind of restrictor,you really don't need a thermostat for what you're doing.

Howard Hull

Well Known Member
Anyone find SS valves for 348/409 heads w/ E valve 1.660 and I valve 1.935?
I did find some at Falcon global but was afraid of quality. Any comments?