409 headers for dragster

Howard Hull

Well Known Member
Don I tried a high gear start, but not very good , the tires are 6" wide and I'll have to look at the height when i
I 'am home again. I have been fighting with the standard 1940 Ford trans for years, and am current switching to power glide, Tired of rebuilding Ford trans after every race day. I'll post some videos on how it works out.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
What gear do you have in the rear?
I lowned some 4.30 to a friend running a TE 440 running a piece together 471 blown small block with one of the old ford gearboxes, got him to just a second third shift.

Howard Hull

Well Known Member
I have 4:11 , and it do a good 2nd gear start with lots of smoke, my problem has been that at full speed,6500 RPM, it will not shift into 3rd gear.I put new syncros after every race day, I have ground off every other hard syncro tooth on 3rd gear, I have had the bellhousing zeroed on crank. Liston to the video with me racing the Scott Muffler dragster, you can hear me trying to get into 3rd gear.

Howard Hull

Well Known Member
I have a 3500 stall that came with the pg, it
does have a trans/brake , I have been wondering
what RPM to leave the line. My old ford brakes are not going to hold up against the torque converter. I have never raced a PG before

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
With the trans brake,you will only need the cars brakes for stopping the car.Since you have a 3500 .leave off the brake at 3,000.

Howard Hull

Well Known Member
How good are aluminum heat sink trans coolers compared standard trans coolers?,
I am guessing the trans brake will generate a lot of heat in dragster.

Howard Hull

Well Known Member
I have ATF pouring out my Greek coupler. I just put a plug in male coupler end. I wish I had known that before I put it together. Anyone have that problem