409 Impala gas lines

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I like keeping my gas lines from the tank to the carb. all steel. If you cut the line, flare the ends and use a coupling to bring them together, I don't see a problem with that. You just create one more potential source of a leak I guess. I would try and get it to fit in one piece first. Not sure about being able to replace it with the body on. I know on my '71 GTO, I bought a gas line that came in one piece. From everything I read and the folks I spoke with including the repair manual, all suggested to raise the body at the rear area. A few others said it was possible but difficult with the body as is. So, I have a brand new line in my garage. There is no way in hell I'm lifting that body for anything. If I decide to put it on, I will look one last time and then probably cut it, Carmine.

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Carmine. I am replacing the return line, which has been disconnected for a long time, but am doing it because I am replacing the main 3/8 line. A PO replaced it with al long rubber hose, just kinda flopping around.

The main line does have some visible rust in it, but the return is too small to see into.
The return is REALLY long, with a jillion twists, turns and awkward angles. Do you suppose I could just throw on an in-line filter on both ends of it, instead of replacing it.

I think the return actually gets fuel only in a fuel percolating type situation, which may never happen here in Santa Cruz, where 75 is a heat wave. So a filter “should work”. It is not like fuel injection where it has a constant flow of fuel....

What do you think?

Chip