409 in a 65 Chevelle

427John

Well Known Member
I know for sure that back in the day some Z-11's found their way into some 64-65 chevelles,some of the big name chevy Super Stock racers built some as southern style(minimal rules) match racers.I think some even made it into some chevy II's.

bobs409

Administrator
It's been discussed here many times. Most recent was here: http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/oil-pan.42272/#post-463166

A 348 or 409 can be installed in a Chevelle but it's not a drop in. The oil pan has to be modified to go over the cross member. There are no exhaust manifolds that will work due to the location of the cross member. I had to have custom headers built "on the car" as I did not weld back then. You can build them yourself of course if you have the skills & tools.

In my case, my 409 is the 400hp high perf version that had the idler pulley. I wanted to keep that so I "deleted" my cars existing power steering and went to manual. I think I had to "find" a top rad hose that would work too but that's going back to '94 so not sure anymore...

I think that's all. The rest is a bolt in. :teehee The 348 / 409's are the same size so they will bolt up to the same engine mounts. (396 in my case) and your choice of automatic or manual trans, same bolt pattern there.

Have fun! :laugh4

664.JPG665.JPG

bobs409

Administrator
66ss29-jpg.72996

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It's been discussed here many times. Most recent was here: http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/oil-pan.42272/#post-463166

A 348 or 409 can be installed in a Chevelle but it's not a drop in. The oil pan has to be modified to go over the cross member. There are no exhaust manifolds that will work due to the location of the cross member. I had to have custom headers built "on the car" as I did not weld back then. You can build them yourself of course if you have the skills & tools.

In my case, my 409 is the 400hp high perf version that had the idler pulley. I wanted to keep that so I "deleted" my cars existing power steering and went to manual. I think I had to "find" a top rad hose that would work too but that's going back to '94 so not sure anymore...

I think that's all. The rest is a bolt in. :teehee The 348 / 409's are the same size so they will bolt up to the same engine mounts. (396 in my case) and your choice of automatic or manual trans, same bolt pattern there.

Have fun! :laugh4

View attachment 74445View attachment 74446
I love those headers! I probably say that every time you post pictures of your car Bob..:bow

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
$550 plus tax back in 1994. Done by a local welder who made custom exhausts on the side. He always got some crazy stuff in!
About 7-8 years ago, when I put a 348 into my ‘56 gasser, I inquired from someone who makes custom headers, about building a pair for me. The problem was the driver side with the steering box. He said he really only builds headers for stock cars, but would build mine if I bring the car there for $2500.00. Sure. Right. Sign me up coach. Instead, bought a set of headers, took the driver side apart, did a crap job of welding and disguised it with header wrap. Got tired of that real quick like. Had a friend come over, grind, refigure and weld. Painted white. They still look good, Carmine.

agentorange

I have a 65 Chevelle with a small block in it. It's a 138 car if you wanted to go backwards. It's been a drag car since the 70's. Back half car with a Dana 60. Nobody seems to want to buy it so I was thinking of the Jack Gibbs 440 blower motor that I have would be kind of cool setting in there. Problem is I'm old and tired so wondering how difficult it would be. Doable but a bit of work.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I have a 65 Chevelle with a small block in it. It's a 138 car if you wanted to go backwards. It's been a drag car since the 70's. Back half car with a Dana 60. Nobody seems to want to buy it so I was thinking of the Jack Gibbs 440 blower motor that I have would be kind of cool setting in there. Problem is I'm old and tired so wondering how difficult it would be. Doable but a bit of work.

DO IT.........!!!!!!

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Hi Burt

Nice to talk to you a while back.. You forgot to mention this one when you picked up the A arms a couple of weeks ago. Are you still considering this?

Dave