409 lifter replacement

GCAMINO

Supporting Member 1
Ok, here's the story. I rebuilt a 62 409 for my 62 Bel Air. The car originally came with factory A/C. I decided to go with a hydraulic cam. The lifters I installed are Delphi brand, and are floating at higher RPM. There is less than 75 miles on them. The question is can I replace the lifters, without replacing the cam. I have heard this is a bad idea. I remember doing this in the past with no problems. Changing the cam with the engine in the car creates a problem with re-sealing the oil pan without having it leak.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
If open and seat pressure were not checked, along with installed height of spring, you will have problems. Springs cannot just be installed without any checking. What rpm are you having issues?

GCAMINO

Supporting Member 1
Checked and adjusted the spring height, but not the pressure. Under full throttle at about 4000. Tach not hooked up yet. Accelerates fine then dies and starts breaking up. It's like it hit a wall.

GCAMINO

Supporting Member 1
Carbs professionally re-built, removed and checked for float level, and blockage. Tried another distributor, same results. Replaced points and condenser. Timing set at 12 degrees, with advance disconnected. Total advance 33 degrees.

GCAMINO

Supporting Member 1
At this point I'm trying everything. So back to my original question, is it ok to change out the lifters without changing the cam?

427John

Well Known Member
To answer your question about replacing lifters without replacing the cam if it becomes necessary,that should be no problem as long as the cam has no damaged lobes and they exhibit normal wear,the no no is replacing a cam and using old lifters.If you do replace lifters make sure to get break-in lube on the lobes and bottom of lifters and perform another cam break-in.

GCAMINO

Supporting Member 1
Thanks for the reply. Like I said, I have replaced lifters alone without changing the cam in the past with no problems. The re-build has only 60 miles, so the cam should be fine.
Got the lube, getting the lifters, and I let you know how everything turns out'
Thanks to all, Gordie

427John

Well Known Member
Gordie,that sounds like a very low rpm for it to be hydraulic lifters causing the problem,try adding another 2-4* initial timing to see if that makes any difference,also if you have another coil available try it and check your voltage to the coil and make sure it matches the requirements of the coil.
P.S. I'd be more concerned that the cam didn't survive break-in than hyd. lifters being the issue.

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Process of elimination. A suggestion could be to pull the sender out of the tank and check that the sock filter isn't chocked up. Also check and clean out other filters and fuel pump. Is the tank cap vented?

GCAMINO

Supporting Member 1
I put a milder cam in from SC . Enging idles very nice which makes me believe the cam is ok, Adjusted by 1) turn to tdc 2) turn adjuster down
till pushrod started to drag 3) then 1/2 turn .