409 lifter replacement

GCAMINO

Supporting Member 1
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I will follow the diagnostic checks mentioned here.
I'll keep you posted. The winning answer gets an atta boy from me:appl:winner

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Another member was having much the same issue at 5,ooo.A lifter failed.He wants to go faster,so we're working on a more suitable grind [cam,lifters and springs]for his needs.

tenxal

Well Known Member
If you're willing to try something, this is another way to set the lifters that may eliminate any issues:

-Rotate engine to TDC-Adjust #1 ex & int, #3 ex, #5 int, #7 int, #2 int, #4 ex, #8 ex
-Rotate 180 degrees to TDC-adjust #3 int, #5 ex, #7 ex, #2 ex, #4 int, #6 int & ex, #8 int

GCAMINO

Supporting Member 1
OK!!!!!! Lets have the drum roll for the winner. 427John. It was the coil. It was a brand new POS from China. Got an old rusty Delco that I almost
threw away. Put it on and bingo. Problem solved!!! Pulls hard all the way to who knows where( No tach yet). I was fooled by my own experiences with floating lifters. Sometimes its better forget what you think you know. Thanks again for all the in the forum, and a hardy hand shake for 427 John.
:bow:clap:cool::D:). Going to grab a cold beer and relax. Gordie

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
OK!!!!!! Lets have the drum roll for the winner. 427John. It was the coil. It was a brand new POS from China. Got an old rusty Delco that I almost
threw away. Put it on and bingo. Problem solved!!! Pulls hard all the way to who knows where( No tach yet). I was fooled by my own experiences with floating lifters. Sometimes its better forget what you think you know. Thanks again for all the in the forum, and a hardy hand shake for 427 John.
:bow:clap:cool::D:). Going to grab a cold beer and relax. Gordie

Thats what i have been talking about these aftermarket parts are killing us just went through a long and winding disk brake conversion on a 67 camero to make a short story it was a new fautly china properation valve that was causing the problem,put a used gm 40 year old valve on and the problem was solved.

427John

Well Known Member
Glad to hear you got your problem resolved,unfortunately new doesn't always equal good.Its funny how sometimes an old crusty piece of crap will make the world right for you again,probably has you tempted to leave that piece of goats ass clamped onto your diamond huh?