409 notched radiator problem.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Here is the global west sway bar. As you can see the bolt on sway bar c bracket must be forward to front or the spacer in frame where gear box bolt is will interfere getting bolt in blind cavity.Also you can see why the deep notched radiator is needed.20170102_101629.jpg 20170102_101641.jpg 20170102_101651_001.jpg 20170102_101651_001.jpg 20170102_101710.jpg 20170102_101611.jpg 20170102_101736_001.jpg

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Thanks for Global West sway bar pictures. I think I could get it installed on my power coated frame with minimal modifications.
I am about to install my front end on my 62 SS 409 convertible( this month). I see from your pictures the following.
My 600 steering box is tilted up on the top as compared to your last picture and clears my 4 core 409 radiator. My modified box frame mount allows the stock radiator and still clears the power steering pump pulley.

As I said above I will get my restoration finished get the alignment done, drive car and move toward installation of the Global West system as needed.

Don, I may ask for a few more pictures of the steering box connection to the suspension, from the side and from below, if you can. I will get some pictures of my setup, after the front end / radiator is mounted
Did you change the idler arm holes in the frame or use the stock mounting holes?
I recall you drilled a hole in the frame for the rear mounting bolts for the stabilizer bar mount, to get the bolts inside the frame , it's hard to see in your pictures.
Paul

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Paul, I too already had the 600 delphi gear box. So I ordered the kit without box,but they send a correct mounting plate to position the gear box correct angle and further to front of car.They send a longer intermediate steering shaft also. The new idler arm is put in original holes in frame.Pitman arm is also included in kit,drag link, sway bar and link's tie rods end's.For some reason I had to get longer grade 8 bolt''s to get the sway bar higher to clear over the tie rods adjuster,about a inch longer. I shimmed spacer in the link''s with washer''s for now ,but will replace with longer spacer later. I drilled the hole to get bolt in blind cavity right under the c bracket's in the middle so when c bracket's is bolted up ,that hole is covered up. You must mount gear box with their mounting plate ,otherwise is will not be correct position for drag link and tie rods. If you need better pictures ,I can ,but if you do all as designed it will fall into place ...You will need a notched radiator as I have as you can see the gear box protrude''s under radiator. I will post the kit number I got.

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
This is kit i got without gear box, i already had box. . St 5964s $1124.95
1959-1964-impala-biscayne-el-camino-power-steering-conversion-bump-steer-kit-part-no-gear-box-st-5964s-17.jpg

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
The shroud I purchased mounted after I pushed in the sides slightly. Called classic industries about the radiator. They measured another radiator top mounting holes were 27 in.(ok) The other 2 were 27 1/4 and 27 3/16. I would guess the are not built to exact measurements. Returned the radiator..OER does make another brass and copper notched radiator I am going to look at.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I also have the global west steering kit. Will that Particular notched radiator work on a 1964 as well?
I think 64 has a different bot mounting pattern you will have to call to ask them . Ask if it has to be redrilled to fit pattern or if they have one that is correct.

Last edited: