409 oil gallery plug

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ok guys got my newest 409 fired up on the test stand and all was going good for about 25 minutes then oil pressure went to a big fat zero and at that time I realized it blew out one of the oil gallery plug on the drivers side by the motor mount right above the pan rail. Stock 400hp 65 block with 10 40 driven brand oil and it had 80 psi before it blew apart. Damm machine shop did not tap the hole so it was one of those pop in plugs so what's my best option to find another one of these and when install do I use red locktight? Is oil pressure too high? It also has the stock oil filter canister on it. I lost about 3 quarts so hoping no damage .

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'd shove some fabric (that doesn't come apart) down the hole and after tapping, then pull it out. Grease is good too. Fun!

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Use grease on the tap and clean and reapply often, then use a magnet and run a priming tool to flush.
If one fell out you may want to think about doing the rest of them.

Like he says.
I blew one of those small oil galley freeze plugs out on brand new 1962 rebuilt 409 motor in a frame off restoration Hardtop behind the PS pump -what a bitch to fix :furious
- I think we replaced all of them with tapped plugs - might have pulled the motor its been 20 years.
every 409 motor since 5 or 6 of them, has had all the small oil galley plugs on the drivers side replaced with tapped holes and screw in plugs at the machine shop with the other machine work :poke

Paul

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I just cut a notch in the rear leg and welded in a small plate to make it strong for the starter to fit on the engine while bolted to this stand. I fired this girl and ran her on this before she went in the car. I see people run them on 3 wheeled engine stands up in the air and I just don't trust that. This set up is low to the ground and the 4 wheels are at the four corners of the engine. Only takes a few minutes to add a radiator with electric fan. She does the job.
engine on run stand.jpg

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm to old to work on engine leaks and motor issues in a car unless I have too. Break the cam in and fix all leaks on a engine stand before installing in vehicle and just have fun with a good running leak free she's so fine my 409 :drinking

20170502_174649[1].jpg

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have those stands also 1964superstocker but I wanted to run it for 30 minutes to break in the cam with water going through it and for the most part it worked good for 20-25 minutesView attachment 93622
I have a radiator that bolts to the front of the stand where I can run water. I figured for what I'm doing it works well enough. If I ran engines more often I'd step up. I do have a 454 to build soon.

AK-Guy

Well Known Member
I just cut a notch in the rear leg and welded in a small plate to make it strong for the starter to fit on the engine while bolted to this stand. I fired this girl and ran her on this before she went in the car. I see people run them on 3 wheeled engine stands up in the air and I just don't trust that. This set up is low to the ground and the 4 wheels are at the four corners of the engine. Only takes a few minutes to add a radiator with electric fan. She does the job.

That's gotta be pretty loud with just straight pipes coming off the heads!!

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That's gotta be pretty loud with just straight pipes coming off the heads!!
Somewhere on here I told the story of my wife bolting out of the house at 2pm in the afternoon screaming at me. Apparently she doesn't think I should wake the dead during the day. They are only 2 inch pipe. They came out better than I thought they would. Need to find an old school rail to use them on. If you have a good stereo hooked up to your computer this might sound good. I was adjusting for vacuum.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ok guys I got new oil gallery plugs, the push in one's the factory used hoping this was a one time thing because I didnt want to risk metal getting in the motor and fired up the motor and blew out a different one with 80 psi oil pressure @2000 rpm. Does this motor need to come apart again checking for a restriction in one of the passages? Driven brand 10 40 oil ,stock canister. I also bought the threaded plug kit from show cars as my next step but just read that too much pressure is a bad thing? No I have not checked pressure at front of the block and I have oil to all of my rockers. I don't want to thread the plug holes then loose the motor because I didn't fix the original problem but screw in plugs are going in for sure either way.