409 oil pan leaking

John Autry

Well Known Member
Our oil pan is leaking where it meets the timing chain cover. We have resealed it twice and it still leaks.
Am considering using a reproduction pan and timing chain cover. Anyone had experience using these reproduction parts???? are they of good quality???.

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My 348 leaked there as well. I cleaned it up with thinners and ran a bead of rtv on the joint and worked it in. That stopped it.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
^ this is the only way to do it while its assembled. Just a tip but you can use the high temp (orange) RTV if your timing cover and pan are painted and it will blend right in.

John Autry

Well Known Member
Thanks guys I have tried that and it did not work, even loosen the bolts and drop it a little to get the RTV in there better, still no luck. Then I had to pull the motor because I had to replace the flywheel and put a new oil pan gasket on paying attention to the corners where it seems to be leaking. Still no luck.

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Could the oil leak be coming from somewhere else? I seem to remember that truck blocks have threaded holes that go thru the front of the block and need to be plugged (bolt) to prevent oil leak. Don't know if your using truck block.

John Autry

Well Known Member
Thanks for your suggestion. Yes I have a truck block. I have a Billit Specialities front runner on it that I thought used all the existing holes but I will check it.

Eric Kozmic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Is one of these bolt holes the one I'm considering using to "hold the pin up" when I install my new fuel pump?

John Autry

Well Known Member
Thanks guys it has been a 4 year project that I am finally seeing the light at the end of tunnel for. When I get the oil leak stopped I can put the front end on. The interior is completed.

Kevin Green

Well Known Member
I'm thinking you may have an issue some where else too. I would definitely do some checking. Love the motor with the injection ! What kind of injection is that ?

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
That timing cover to pan seal has generally not been a problem area. That squared off black rubber seal is a tight fit up front. I have only used a little bit of black RTV in the corners. Over the years I have done quite a few cam changes by just prying off the front cover and leaving the oil pan alone. I have reused the black rubber seal if it isn't to old by putting a little black RTV on it and pry the cover back into place over the dowel pins. The worst leak I have had when reusing the oil rubber was a little area that the dust stuck too. I too would suspect another source for your leak unless the pan or cover are distorted.

John Autry

Well Known Member
Thanks to both of you. I plan on looking after thanksgiving and maybe get a second set of eyes to look at it with me. The injection unit is a Algon unit that we sent to Hogans manifolds to have the bungs added for the injectors as well as mount the fuel rails and build a water bridge to house the thermostat. My son built the new stacks from u bends and he machined the bells for the top of each stack. It is running off a FAST xfi system.

Dewman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Did you purchase (where?) or fabricate the breathers on the valve covers? Very Nice!!