409 oil pressure sender

cabriolet409

Well Known Member
I need help locating the threaded port on the 409 engine where the oil pressure sender would be located. I have a 1965 truck block and can provide the casting number if necessary. There is a small plug located 6 inches forward of the oil filter housing and one inch above the oil pan (the engine was built by Show Cars, and it looks like they threaded the plug in there). Is this the location?
thanks,
Cabriolet409

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
oil sending unit

The location on my 409 is about 2 inches above the oil filter. The plug you talking about is a coolent drain plug.

W Head
59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

mpris

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It's Here. Just above oil filter.

Poocho

Attachments

• DSC00632a.jpg
    DSC00632a.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 117

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
up front also

There is an oil port up front on passenger side below manifold. Pretty hard to access.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
front oil port

models916 said:
There is an oil port up front on passenger side below manifold. Pretty hard to access.

I always install my oil pressure gauge at this front port. Had a bad experance few years back with a SB. One of the gears broke in my oil pump and I had the oil press gauge line install at the back of the engine, well I was getting pressure at the back of the engine but the front main fried. My gauge was still indicating oil press.Since then I have alway installed the gauge line as far away from the pump as posible.

W Head
59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I think your going to get a lower oil pressure reading in the front port.I think the front port is connected to the oil passage for the lifters :dunno

cabriolet409

Well Known Member
Gentlemen,
Thanks very much for the excellent advice! Special thanks to mpris for the photo, which makes it very clear!
Cabriolet409 :bow

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
JimKwiatkowski said:
I think your going to get a lower oil pressure reading in the front port.I think the front port is connected to the oil passage for the lifters :dunno

Nail on the head !! I did this and it feaked me out !! Almost no pressure at idle,,dq