409 part recommendations

Jayz63

Well Known Member
Hello everyone. Im in the process of rebuilding my 1963 409. It is missing the oil pump and shaft, distributor. What recommendations are there for an oil pump, HEI distributor for this beast. It is the QB coded dual 4 bbl carbs bored out .030. brand new pistons rods Issky Cam and lifters. Also the transmission is a all aluminum 4 speed T-10. What clutch should I install and how many teeth on the flywheel? Thank you ahead of time.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Buy the correct 409 only oil pump shaft from show cars, a Melling high volume 409 oil pump. I convert original 409 distributors to Pretronix with a rev limiter ( great for street use and at a significant cost difference). original 2-4 air cleaners will not fit over aftermarket 409 distributors.
Use 168 tooth steel flywheel . I have had centerforce 11” clutch sets and currently have a McLoed 11” clutch set.
10 & 1/2 inch clutches are original to 409’s
Paul

Jayz63

Well Known Member
Okay so the original chrome dual carb aircleaner won’t work with a hei distributor with a large cap?

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
If you're not using the stock dual quad air cleaner, you can use an aftermarket distributor. I've used a Pertronics and a Mallory dual point and both worked great. But the aftermarket distributors are around 1 1/2" taller than stock. I'm pretty sure they use small block guts in a housing that fits a W engine.

Jayz63

Well Known Member
The more I start to think about different parts I come up with some more questions. Suggestions on a timing gear/chain set? And alternator bracket?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Get with Bob Walla Racing on the chain and gears.He sells a heavy duty chain with the 9 position crank key and the hardened spacer for block protection,or an encapsulated torrington bearing.There are cheaper ones out there,but often they're off on their markings making degreeing the cam harder than it needs to be.Show cars has both stock and Allen Grove brackets for the accessories.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
What Don says on the chain is good. I have Cloyes double roller chain and gears in all my 409’s, no problems.

I like the Allan Grove 348/409 low profile mount that puts the alternator very close to the stock location for the
alternator( easy to adjust for the belt to use). I power coated my Allan Grove brackets.
Are you using power steering?
I ended up selecting Gates belts - I checked - tested at least 7 different PS and altenator belts ( Gates belts come in 1/2” to 1” lengths ) to get the belts to fit with proper adjustment of the belts. Power Steering with the factory pump makes belt selection/ fit harder.

Try to use factory upper and lower pulleys to help with belt fit. All 409’s came with deep groove pulleys.
Paul

Jayz63

Well Known Member
Yes using the factory power steering. Is there a good website for buying the Allan grove bracket.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
As stated above that distributor will not work with the factory air cleaner. It’s at least 1 & 1/2 inches taller than the stock distributor. I want to be able to use my original 2-4 air cleaner.

That’s why I suggest a rebuilt original distributor with a Pertronix Ignitor III to replace the points with a rev limiter. I have one in my 62 SS 409 stroker motor. I have a factory original 62 Sun Tach that has been converted to electronic with the Ignitor III at tach works great.
For your 63 factory tach I would talk to Ron at Williamson’s in Arkansas - he will know ( if you go with the Pertronix )

I see one or two rebuilt 409 distributors on E-bay right now. The price for a rebuilt 409 distributor is / should be around $200 to $250.
I got a very nice rebuilt 409 distributor from a guy in North Dakota, and then added the Ignitor III and had it run on a distributor machine.
Paul