409 part recommendations

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
First year for the 153 and the closed bottom small aluminum BH was 1963. You’ll need the 168 tooth flywheel with a 409 and a BH that fits the 168 tooth will take an 11 inch clutch. You need an internally balanced flywheel.

Jayz63

Well Known Member
cool thanks for the info. Do you have any recommendations on a particular flywheel. I have the 63 QB block 4 speed aluminum T-10 tranny. What about a starter will a small block starter work or does it have to be specific for a 168 tooth?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The inches that you're refering to are the disc size,nothing to do with the flywheel size.The 409 came with a 168 tooth flywheel.Your stater may adapt for either size flywheel,but your block will have to have an extra hole in most cases for you to be able to use the 153 tooth wheel.Unless you're planning on making big power and pounding the crap out of it,there's really nothing to be gained by going bigger than 10.5 on the clutch disc.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I found a late 60’s BB 168 tooth flywheel, it was drilled for the 11 inch. All of the pre 63 flywheels are 168 tooth on all Chevy V8’s.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
cool thanks for the info. Do you have any recommendations on a particular flywheel. I have the 63 QB block 4 speed aluminum T-10 tranny. What about a starter will a small block starter work or does it have to be specific for a 168 tooth?
I have an NOS #004 flywheel and 2 correct rebuilt starters. Give me a day or 2 to dig them out and I can post some pictures.