409 Pass. Oil Pan

60biscayne

Supporting Member 1
:dunno :roll Last spring, I bought a 65' Pass. block, 409, short block, disassembled. We got a pass. 409 oil pan with it, slightly dented up on the bottom. I am now repairing it. Is a 65' pass. oil pan different than the earlier pass. oil pans?? If so, does anyone know how to tell the difference? You see, we would like to put this engine next year, into a 60' Chevy, and it would be nice to know if it will fit the 60', before we're ready to drop the engine in place. Know what I mean??? Thanks! Brian.:clap

art38

Well Known Member
I know the 65 pan is different than the other years, that was because there was a cross member under the pan in 65, I would think the 65 pan would work in all other years. There are some pictures on this site of oil pans.
Art38

Attachments

• 65_409_0304 012.jpg
    65_409_0304 012.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 44

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The shape of the pan didn't change for the cross member. The 65 had rear steer (behide the x-member) linkage.

If you want I could trade you a 348 pan, plus money:deal for the 65 pan.:brow The dip stick would be on the wrong side though.

60biscayne

Supporting Member 1
65' 409 oil pan

Well, I found in this site a picture of a 65' Oil Pan. Mine is not a 65' pan, single big sump, must be an older one. But it is a passenger pan, with the drain plug on the front of the sump.:dunno . Thanks for all the info, everyone whom contributed.:doh

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
65 pan sell for more than a NEW 61-64 pan? On Ebay? Yes - I'm afraid so. Thats why I havn't got one yet. I plan to use the rails from a mashed 348 pan and graft a 396 pan to it.