409 pilot bearing

jd63

having trouble getting the new pilot bearing in the crank. so i went to the parts store and bought another one, same thing, it wont go. i thought all chevy pilot bearings where the same. its a 65 truck engine, tranny is muncie m21 anybody else ever run into this? its fresh back from the machine shop so its not like its full of rust or anything. oh, and it made 375hp & 430 tq on the dyno

mac1

Well Known Member
My understanding is there are two different sized pilot bearings. One size for a stick shift crank and one for an automatic crank. The later being slightly smaller. Do a search, I know someone sells them both. Mac

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
having trouble getting the new pilot bearing in the crank. so i went to the parts store and bought another one, same thing, it wont go. i thought all chevy pilot bearings where the same. its a 65 truck engine, tranny is muncie m21 anybody else ever run into this? its fresh back from the machine shop so its not like its full of rust or anything. oh, and it made 375hp & 430 tq on the dyno
Is this a 348 crank?

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Is this a 348 crank?
That was my thought as well as the Turboglide was used on the 348's and my understanding was the pilot bearing for the turboglide crank used the smaller pilot bearing. Here is a post by GOSFAST.

This is to convert the Turboglide cranks to the standard G.M. line!
Pioneer's part number is PB-656-R. There is one other PB-656 listing for the Corvairs and the suffix code is "C". (PB-656-C)
http://www.348-409.com/forum/index.php?threads/pilot-bushing-probs.11704/#post-99976

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I always use the GM roller bearing that was used for diesel apps. Best bearing out there besides the expensive kevlar ones and only costs $11 :D Beware of bronze ones floating around. A lot of them have iron in them:no. Check with a magnet before use.

jeff hall

Well Known Member
Just ran into the same problem with my 65 348 truck engine,ordered one from Show Cars for the 3 speed-4 speed set up and it was too big. Contacted them and was informed that it could be either of the three. For 9 bucks they are sending the other two so I know one will fit :beer

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I always use the GM roller bearing that was used for diesel apps. Best bearing out there besides the expensive kevlar ones and only costs $11 :D Beware of bronze ones floating around. A lot of them have iron in them:no. Check with a magnet before use.

Hey Shiftem'.............
Would you just happin to have a part # for that roller ?

jd63

Just ran into the same problem with my 65 348 truck engine,ordered one from Show Cars for the 3 speed-4 speed set up and it was too big. Contacted them and was informed that it could be either of the three. For 9 bucks they are sending the other two so I know one will fit :beer

jd63

As far as I know it's not a 348 crank. I guess I'll get in touch with Bruce at show cars and get the 3 different ones to see which one works. Thanks for the info. Jason

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Keep in mind that the truck engines used different trans than the cars. The cranks are probably different with the pilot bores for HD truck standard and Powermatic trannys.
I'll have to look it up in the parts catalogue to verify.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Group 0.649 BEARING, Crankshaft Clutch Pilot

55-62 ALL (except 322, 348, 409, DIESEL)
63-60 ALL (6 cyl.) (exept DIESEL)
64-66 Series 50 (283)................................(bush type) (19/32 O.D.x 3/4) 3752487

56-62 ALL (8 cyl.) (except 265, 283),
62-66 DIESEL (except 351, 478),
63-66ALL (8 cyl.) (except 283)...(ball type) (63/64 I.D.x 2- 3/64 O.D x 19/32) 904983

63-66 ALL (351, 478).....(ND 7109) (19/32 I.D. x 1 13/32 O.D. x 11/32) 907321

So it looks like the 348/409 truck cranks use a 63/64 ID x 2-3/64 OD x 19/32 ball bearing .

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Would a bearing that large be mounted in the crank? Or in the flywheel? I just remembered I have a truck block with broken crank snout. I will look at it.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
My calipers are almost too short, but it measures approx. 1.060 where the pilot bushing would go and approx 1.692 where the hub of a torque converter would go. This short block came from one of the 80 series Janesville Transport trucks back in the 60's.

dean409

Well Known Member
Just came in from the garage with the same problem. 1965 truck block, never been apart, with a standard tranny. Always used roller pilots on my Mk IVs, bought one for the dubya. No fitty senor'. Thought the edge was a little ruff so put some emery to the edge. Dug the old pilot outta the trash and it's smaller. Heh? I grew up with the knowledge all olde Chebbies were the same! Okay, so what bushing/bearing do I use with my Muncie?