409 Powered 61 Pontiac

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
We're finally ready to start working on the 61 Pontiac we got last year.

2009-05-05015cre.jpg

This is a Canadian Pontiac so it has an X frame and a Chevrolet drivetrain. This particular car originally came with an in line 6 cyl but the 348 was an available option.
The plan is to convert it to a nostalgia Super Stock drag car with a 409 for power.

We just finished building a paint booth in the shop. We'll also be able to use the booth for sandblasting and body work.

4e.jpg

3e.jpg

2e.jpg

We've got a really powerful pressure washer. As well as grime it will also remove any loose paint.

7cre.jpg

8cre-2.jpg

I think we're going to use this Ford truck hood scoop. It's the same as the ones Pontiac used on their Super Duty cars.

6e.jpg

9cre-1.jpg

Later this week we hope to get started pulling the car apart.
I'll keep posting updates as we go along.:deal

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I love the paint booth !!!!! The pressure washer did a great job of removing that old paint. That wii be a cool car, actually it's a cool car right the way it is.

Dave

Well Known Member
I'll be following your thead on this build,love those 61 Pontiacs.That's going to be a beautiful car.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Great start!

Jim and Jim:

I was wondering when you two might begin that project. I need some motivation to complete some of my own efforts :).

I just think that GM had a great thing going in 1961, and both the full size Chevrolet and the full size Pontiacs look great, as well as representing that era well as "bubbletops" (more specifically, "Sport Coupes"). The Pontiac had great lines those years.

Which engine are you planning on using? Or is there a new one in the works?

Does NSS require that you run dual quads?

We all look forward to what we know will be a quality build in yet another record time :).

Cheers!
TomK

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Which engine are you planning on using? Or is there a new one in the works?

Does NSS require that you run dual quads?

The plan is to get one of Bob Walla's new aluminum blocks and build it at about 540 cubic inches. With that many cubic inches we think we can make decent power at a relatively low rpm.

I don't think you have to run dual quads in NSS.
Our first thought was to run dual quads but if we use the Ford scoop we may have to think about a single Dominator style carb. That scoop isn't big enough to cover two carbs. A lot will depend on how much hood clearance we have.
I think we're going to duct air from the inner headlight pots and just use the scoop for extra clearance over the carb. We might also install the engine a little lower than stock to gain extra clearance.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jim's, I also have been waiting for this build...:clap I love those Ponchos and know the finished product will be yet another great build...:clap Especially with the 540ci aluminum block.....:deal

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Wow!

We might just have to call this the "Bob Walla prototype" :) :) :). That will be an interesting build just in itself!

Reason I mentioned the dual quads in NSS was a local colleague of mine races NSS (Mopar guy) and we were talking the other day about his 1964 Plymouth, which was "converted" to NSS. He mentioned needing to switch from the single 4 barrel setup to the dual quad, thought that might be a requirement?

I am once again envious of another member who has the space to do this in, and the space to create a paint booth as well! It's not a question of what I'd give to have that space, it's what I'd have to give up :).

Best of luck with the project!

TomK

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
We haven't had a lot of time to work on the Pontiac but we did manage to get it stripped down and sandblasted.

1pontiac058.jpg

1pontiac102.jpg

The body looks about as good as we expected once we blasted most of the filler away. It's going to need a lot of work.

1pontiac079.jpg

1pontiac070.jpg

You can see here that there has already been a patch put over the rocker panel.

1pontiac088.jpg

Unfortunately I don't think anybody makes patch panels for 61 Pontiacs so we'll have to make them. As you can see in this picture the bottom of the fender is rotted right off. It was actually filled with a piece of wood then covered over with bondo.:? The body mount that would normally be found in the wheel well has also completely rusted away.

1pontiac082.jpg

1pontiac087.jpg

As you can see she's no cream puff but it is pretty much what we were after when we started looking for a car. If the car was in great shape we wouldn't have felt right about modifying it for drag racing.

The frame looks good.:beerbang

1pontiac107.jpg

By the way, Tom, after reading up a little more on Nostalgia Super Stock rules I see that most groups allow single carbs but they have to be a style that the car would have come with so a big Holley Dominator wouldn't be allowed.
In our case the club we race with doesn't have any such rule so we can pretty much do what we want. We're just going after the NSS look.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Noticed the stolen signs on the paint booth wall!!!!:?:?:roll:roll

It's always good to see Winston!!!!:clap:clap:clap

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
How much differance is there from the Canadian frame and the U.S. frame?
I know the one for the North is an X but can the U S Frame by adopted for the cause?:dunno:dunno. How much work would it be?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Great progress!

Jim and Jim:

You two guys are making great progress, or is that Winston lending a paw?

My 1961 Bonneville (the longer version of your car) wasn't quite as corroded, she had but 16,xxx miles on her. My outer rockers need some patches, which I think can be repaired using cut out sections from the similar Chevrolet skins (I might be off there, that was just my initial inspection). The trunk (which is not replicated) also suffered rust through. But the pans and inner rockers are quite solid. So I kept my body on, as the mounts were in good condition, etc. I sealed off both the underneath and top of the pans, and detailed the suspension. Then I stopped to work on another project (that's where the ADD sets in!). That was about two years ago...

I think of my vehicle as a "tow vehicle", but it has to have multiple carbs on whatever engine goes back in there. Currently I have a Pontiac 428 that I stroked using 455 reciprocating parts, with 455 heads. Should be pretty stout, but not a racer. Not sure about what trans to use, perhaps a Turbo 400?

Keep the photos coming, we love to see progress!

Cheers!

TomK

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jim,been following your blog here.Looks like you need a little sheet metal.Try these guys,a friend bought some items from them a couple of years ago.Prices were very reasonable. I believe they have a 61' Ventura in stock for parts now.They're located in Indianapolis area,here's the web sight.Just click on the link. http://www.indianapontiacs.com/ .Also in Frederick ,Md. area there is a Pontiac salvage and junkyard.I do not know the name,but can find out tomorrow.I understand that this guy has 3 large buildings filled with old Pontiac parts ,plus parts cars.I'll try to update tomorrow. John :cheers: :cheers:

Ps: you might look at 1962 sheet metal,floors could be the same,also doors sheet metal could be same,rockers and inner fenders might also work.Perhaps one of the guys with the Hollander parts books can look a few items and see whats interchangeable.:cool: :cool:

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
How much differance is there from the Canadian frame and the U.S. frame?
I know the one for the North is an X but can the U S Frame by adopted for the cause?:dunno:dunno. How much work would it be?

The frame on these cars is identical to the Chevy frames. That means that replacement floor pans for a Chevy will also fit right in. The same goes for Chevy carpets. I think we might use aluminum for the floors.:scratch

We've got a Chevy drivers side rocker panel and it will fit too. It's shaped a little differently at the bottom but it might be close enough to do the trick. We should be working on that tomorrow so I might be able to post a picture.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
We went ahead and installed the Chevy rocker panel in the Pontiac. It's a little different but it looks fine.
We also installed a .100 wall 2" by 2" box in the rockers to meet the NHRA requirements for the roll cage.

1pontiac116.jpg

1pontiac115.jpg

1pontiac122.jpg

We had to modify the bottom of the quarter panel to match the Chevy rocker. That wasn't a problem since we had to fix it anyways to repair the rust.

1pontiac124.jpg

1pontiac133.jpg

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Nice work, Jim & Jim.:clap:clap:clap It's a lot of work, to do it right, but I will look GREAT, when it's finished.:clap:clap:bow

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
We've made some progress. We've got most of the drivers side metal work done.

2cr-3.jpg

We used a trailer fender to make the wheel tub.
Here's some before and after pictures.

1pontiac087.jpg

4cr-3.jpg

3cr-2.jpg

5cr-2.jpg

We moved the body mount in a bit and the new tubs are about 2 1/2" wider.

1cr-3.jpg