409 Questions

409acoupe

New to the site and nearing completion of my model A hot rod build and I have a 63 409 truck motor that is going into the car. Motor is original and running. Have had the valve covers off and is nice and clean inside. haven't done any other investigating as we have been busy working to complete the car first. Long term plans will be to do a full rebuild on the motor, probably put a set of edelbrock heads on. I have a mint factory winters aluminum dual quad manifold that i would like to also run on the car. My main question is what you guys think about me putting that manifold (or an edelbrock dual quad for the small port heads) on the motor to begin with, without doing the rebuild for now and running the motor as is. Like any big car build it's mostly about budget right now otherwise i would do the full rebuild and there wouldn't be any questions so the main thought is to run as is for now with that manifold and a couple 500cfm carbs and then do the rebuild in a year or two. I am aware of the small port heads / large port manifold relationship so it's not that i am concerned about, more so just seeing if anyone thinks it will be too much carb on that motor to begin with. I beleive there is a little "trimming" required of the GM manifold to make it fit properly on the small heads which i don't really want to do to keep it in pristine condition so likely it will be an edelbrock manifold to start. Any other insights or info is welcomed. Thanks guys, couple pics of the car and motor attached as well.
IMG_2800.JPGIMG_3444.JPGIMG_1783.JPGIMG_2314.JPGIMG_1980.JPG

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
That engine looks right at home sitting on that frame. You do nice work. I would fire it up as is and see what shape it is in. You could start on another engine rebuild as a later phase of this project,then you could use the car and enjoy it now while the second motor is going together. I do believe I would use side engine mounts, since that will support the weight of the engine better and reduce the tendency to rock side to side from engine torque.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
You could run the small port 2x4 and just run on the primary's to buy you some time for the look but that would be money spent for the small port heads.:dunno
Just thinking out loud :rubyou wont want small port stuff on a 409. :good

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Double valve cover gasket will allow the HP intake to clear. Use HP intake gaskets and squirt some silicone sealer in the unused hole in the head. If it's for looks, it works. You can even glue some bolt heads only on the intake without a matching hole.

409acoupe

Well been a while since i've been on here. Busy building the coupe! had the motor rebuilt this summer. Decided to go with the tri power as it just works with the hot rod build. Kept the crank and rods and went new everywhere else. bored 30 over. When we stripped the motor we were happy to find the motor was low mileage as advertised when i bought it. Went full roller and 11.1 pistons. Motor made 350hp on the dyno with the stock manifolds which for my little coupe is plenty. Assuming the headers makes her breath a little better. Car's 99% done, just tidying up a few gremlins normal for any full build and then it's time to drive and enjoy! Have a vid of the first little drive around the street on my IG page.

https://www.instagram.com/30coupestreet/

IMG_5071.JPGIMG_5642.JPGIMG_5849.JPGIMG_5860.JPGIMG_6574.jpg
IMG_1561.JPEG