409 starter problem?

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
Still having a problem with a ticking sound. Originally thought might be coming from around where the distributor mounts...only had the engine in neutral. Got the clutch linkage hooked up and now noticed it gets worse when I depress the clutch. Checked the the throw out bearing in the clutch forks both fingers appear correct. The only thing that seems wrong is the washer on the starter shaft is very close to the flywheel. Every thing is new or be built and original parts, except the clutch that is a LUK matched set, 409 replacement. The starter is supposed to be correct.
Does the 552 bell housing need a special starter?

Attachments

• 4317231A-E388-44E0-A101-33E9FEAEE308.jpeg
    4317231A-E388-44E0-A101-33E9FEAEE308.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 102
  • E4B82F2A-A3A9-4F45-AA2F-03543A49DC3A.jpeg
    E4B82F2A-A3A9-4F45-AA2F-03543A49DC3A.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 103
  • DF719481-AF45-4A17-BCF4-242E642B1E4F.jpeg
    DF719481-AF45-4A17-BCF4-242E642B1E4F.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 90

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have experienced the tinging noise in my life time also. Often its the inspection cover. Just out of curiosity though, have you slowly turned that engine over and looked at the runout on that ring gear. Man does it look close to the washer on the starter from the pictures :dunno

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
The inspection cover has never been on the car. I had someone step on the clutch and I watched the stater shaft. Nothing changed and the clutch appeared to operate perfectly. your idea of turning over the engine and watching everything is next. Spring project as it is starting to snow and the garage is cold. Just dreading removing the starter. (Removing the exhaust manifold, etc.)

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The inspection cover has never been on the car. I had someone step on the clutch and I watched the stater shaft. Nothing changed and the clutch appeared to operate perfectly. your idea of turning over the engine and watching everything is next. Spring project as it is starting to snow and the garage is cold. Just dreading removing the starter. (Removing the exhaust manifold, etc.)

Just start it and look under the car with a flash light. Preferable with someone in the car holding the brake and giving it some gas a few times to see if there is runout on the ring gear, or if that crank is walking a little.

bwell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I agree with 64ss409. I had a similar sound and it was the tin shield ( not the dust cover) contacting the back of the flywheel at the crank.

Last edited:

El Rat

Well Known Member
Me thinks that the black “cover” has the starter “pushed” toward the radiator. If you remove it the starter will move toward the rear end and the “washer” will no longer contact the ring gear.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Had a ticking in our 66 Impala after a long run and everything was heat soaked......:scratch
No ticking before installing a Tremec 5 speed.......:rub
After many inspections and even checking valve clearances it turned out to be a transmission bolt expanding
and contacting the pressure plate. Installed one washer and no more ticking.........:allright

Last edited:

38Chevy

Well Known Member
Might try adding a shim on the back side of the armature between the thrush washer and the housing pushing the armature toward the drive end a little more. Might move the keeper away from the flywheel just enough to prevent contact.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Might try adding a shim on the back side of the armature between the thrush washer and the housing pushing the armature toward the drive end a little more. Might move the keeper away from the flywheel just enough to prevent contact.
Good idea. That thrust washer behind the armature may be incorrect or missing.