409 starter problem

Don Robinson

I have a 63 409/425 hp and was wondering if there is a way to shim the starter or somehow move it closer to the flywheel. Maybe a larger diameter starter gear?If one is even made. It snaps and bangs sometimes when I start it, especially when its warm. Sounds like the starter gear is slipping on the ring gear. It has a 168 tooth ring gear. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If it was skipping teeth you would see damage. There is a one way clutch in the starter drive that could be bad.

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My starter burnt up two weeks ago, so I take it out and have it rebuilt too a super high torque, it was only 20.00 more so why not.

When I took the starter out there was a .20 thousands shim on the top where the starter bolts into the block this a 63 409/400hp.

It was cut exactly too the bolt pattern with a half inch X quarter inch tab told the frame side and I said damn this is going too be fun installing.

It was a piece of cake so too your answer question yes.

This shim was auto part store purchased, I don't know from where and didn't even know it existed until I removed the starter.