409 starter

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I've been using a mini starter from CVR products on my 62 409. Although I modified the starter for a deeper bite I'm still having problems with it kicking out and eating teeth. I don't have room for a full size starter, looking for recommendations. Thanks AZ409

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
AZ409,try useing some starter shims,I think I have 1/16" in my 09.Any parts store should have them.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Starter?

No way should you have to modify a correct starter. Is this starter correct for the application?

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
No, its not the correct starter, but I was told it would fit with a little modification. Do you know of another mini starter that is set up for the 409? Thanks AZ409

Bubbletop Bel-Air

Well Known Member
Mini starters need to be checked for backlash space between the bendix gear and the flywheel teeth. Manually pull the bendix gear into the flywheel and try to insert at least a .030 wire feeler guage. If you don't have sufficent clearance, the mini's will eat flywheels and bendix teeth. Adding shims between the block and starter will give you the necessary clearance. I fought this problem for a while before I was informed of the correct procedure, not a failure or problem since shimming properly on my 540 BBC race motor with 14.5 to 1 compression.

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Would this have anything to do with the flywheel deal we discussed some months ago, where the flywheels needed to be shimmed in order for the flywheel to run true??
Ray

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Mini starter?

This is the stater I have. Part # PWM 9200 in Summit racing catalog.

Attachments

• pwm-9200.jpg
    pwm-9200.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 48

Bubbletop Bel-Air

Well Known Member
FATRIDE That is a quality starter you are using. If you compare your's to some of the other mini's out there you will notice the far end of your bendix is supported, while some of the others have no support on the flywheel side. I checked the instructions that came with mine and confirmed the setup dimensions. Like in my previous post you want to shoot for .030 clearance between the bendix tooth and flywheel tooth. Manually pull bendix into the energized drive position then either counter rotate the flywheel or bendix and insert a wire feeler guage. Visually it look's like to much clearance, but that's what work's. They also suggest you have .100 clearance betweem the leading edge of the bendix gear and the back edge of the flywheel when the bendix is in the retracted position..Shims are also available for this if necessary, they actually sandwhich between the starter body and mounting boss and space everything forward slightly, away from the flywheel. I am surprised that you starter came without better installation instructions. You should also check the clearances at several different places on the flywheel, to eliminate an egg shaped wheel as the problem. Every 60 degrees of rotation is the suggested for that check. Mini's will work well for a long time, but seem to be less forgiving than a stock starter when it comes to just bolting it on. After all, they were originally built to spin very high compression race motors, with exotic and compliceted oil pan's and dry sump systems, with a mininum of space available for a conventional starter. Some teams use a special adapter to move the starter to the other side of the motor, to be able to use a full length kickout on that side of the oil pan due to the direction the crank is slinging the oil. If you still have a problem, contact Powermasters tech dept, most of the aftermarket companies have very good customers service rep's. Good luck.