409 stock rod strength

John Milner

Are the stock rods strong enough to live safely in a 409 engine that will make 400 horsepower or under? My stock rods are in good shape. I had intentions to have ARP bolts added and have the rods resized before I put the engine back together. I won't be drag racing the engine or spinning it over 5,500 rpm or so. I suspect it will have close to 400 horsepower after I get it finished.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Compare the cost of having your originals refurbished, or just buying new ones. Ill bet new ones are about the same price, and most likely stronger.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I've ran stock 348 and 409 rods in many rebuilds with no issues, ran the tail off them. Shifted the 348 at 5500 rpm and the 409 at 6000/6200 for many years. Brian is correct, a "good" aftermarket Rod should be stronger but you need a quality piece.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I have taken them to 7200 with the factory 409/409 pistons. :hide
I am kinda guilty of that also, although my Ross pistons are a little lighter. Rev limiter was 7300, never had a problem with that 409 and it still runs like a top. Except it isn't in my car right now. But it was for at least 3 years. They were polished, peened, magged and good bolts.

John Milner

Thanks for the recommendations and knowledge everyone. It sounds like the factory rods will do the job for me. I would probably go with some bbc rods if I were boring the engine out and buying new pistons. I just can’t justify it as nice as the engine looks internally. As of now it looks like I’ll just add some arp bolts and resize the rods.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Whatever you do,have that assembly balanced.Also,measure the piston tops distance down from the blocks deck,at the minimum of each corner of the block.You're going to need that in order to figure the correct thickness head gasket so to keep the designed in quench area intact.Failure to do this and going too wide[over .060] will result in a more detonation prone engine.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
If I were building that same engine today, I'd probably at least use the aftermarket rods or order pistons designed for longer BBC style rods. But that was several years ago and that looked like the best option at the time.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I have a couple of sets I'll never need-or use for reasons mentioned above. Shipping for those heavy things might be pricey.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Well, the rods weren't as old when I started building W's. I didn't have as much money back then either. In all the years I've not seen a stock 409 rod break. Spun bearings, dropped valves, broken piston skirts but no broken rods. Has anyone here had a broken rod?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I got a set last year from a fellow member in Ks,the shipping was not bad at all.Having said that,if you don't have any at all,by the time you locate,buy,ship,and then have them magnafluxed, new rod bolts installed,and the bottom ends resized,you have exceeded the cost of newer stronger rods.