409 Stroke 348 Bore Air Compressor

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well, I picked up a compressor this weekend for the shop. It is actually a NAPA branded 7.5hp 80 Gal. Air compressor. The pump is made by Saylor-Beall (707 Pump) and the 7.5hp (1PH) motor is a Baldor.

Been researching the 707 4 cylinder pump and found that it has a 4.125 bore and a 3.5" stroke!!!

The compressor was only used for about 6 months in a small tire shop until they went belly up. I picked it up for 1100.00 with a Furnas 16CF15BG7 mag starter, which I am trying to figure out how to wire.

Here is a pic of the pump...

707-pump_med.jpg

Owners manual for the 707

http://www.saylor-beall.com/userfiles/file/Manuals/700SeriesManual.pdf

Compressor pic...

$(KGrHqEOKjsE1l8pmYiwBNdvSS3OZQ~~_12.JPG

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Not sure what the compressor would cost new, but i do know a 7.5hp single phase motor is pretty pricey.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Not sure what the compressor would cost new, but i do know a 7.5hp single phase motor is pretty pricey.

From what I have researched, to replace the pump the cheapest price I have found for a geniune Saylor-Beall 707 pump would cost a little over $1800.00. The Baldor 7.5 motor runs about $700.00

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brian I checked online for your starter last night and some inexperianced gut was asking on google how to wire one up. It was quiet comical but as long as you know the coil voltage and preasure switch single or both leg cutoff to the coil it looks straight foward.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I got the compressor hooked up and running!!! :beerbang:beerbang:beerbang
I want to thank everyone for their help on this.

I think the wiring is right. It turns on when it needs to fill the tank and if I pull the switch up on the pressure switch it cuts off. I haven't been able to run it to fill the tank because it has a bad pressure safety valve on one of the intercoolers. Ordered 2 new one's and they should be in by the end of the week.

Here is my wiring diagram for the mag starter. I hope it's right!!! :)
MagStarter.jpg