409 throw out bearing ?

dirtydave

i am putting together a 340 hp 63 409 4 speed car,i have the 553 alum.bell housing,a 14 inch 168 tooth flywheel,and ready to order a clutch set up.what bearing do i need(long or short?)for this set up?i will be using the clutch fork for the 409.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dave, Most companies now supply the throwout bearing with the clutch and pressure plate. You failed to mention if you are ordering diaphram clutch or B&B (3 finger) clutch. I believe the diaphram uses short bearing and 3 finger clutch uses long bearing.

dirtydave

ron i beleive you are right,i talked to an old parts guy i know(still uses a book)and he told me the same thing you did thanks for the reply dave

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Just sent back a Hayes set...3 finger and it came with a short bearing...sent it back for a diaphram..

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Bearing

I was thinking, the long bearing for the diaphragm, the short bearing for the B & B style. The B & B stands out farther, so would need a shorter bearing. That's the way I remember it. Doesn't mean I'm right, though.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
OOOps! Too important an issue to not be sure. I certainly dont trust my memory. Can someone post a " Im sure" answer?

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Throwout Bearing

I'm not trying to contradict anyone, but if your gonna use a borg/beck pressure plate, use the long throwout bearing. The diaphragm uses a short bearing. I made this mistake a long time ago. Using the longer bearing with a diaphragm pressure plate causes the bearing to wear out much too soon. Also it never shuts up. I don't think it disengages fully from the diaphragm fingers. Skip

409z28

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
clutch

Dave, I used an 11in. Zoom diaphram with 10/1/2 in disc. in both my SS/C car and my D/S. best set up I ever had...BTW used short brg. Got it ay US nats from VP of Zoom at the time. :) :clap

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Bob, good advice. For those who would buy a 11 in. clutch and pressure plate, to replace for improvment, be sure your flywheel will accept 11 in unit. If memory serves me, the 11 in. wont bolt up to a flywheel that has 10 in clutch. Dont remember about the 10 1/2 unit.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Bob, good advice. For those who would buy a 11 in. clutch and pressure plate, to replace for improvment, be sure your flywheel will accept 11 in unit. If memory serves me, the 11 in. wont bolt up to a flywheel that has 10 in clutch. Dont remember about the 10 1/2 unit.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Okay, so my coordination is so poor that I cant push the keys just right. Should explain why I dont race anymore. :doh :doh

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Racing

You are going to race at Clay City, aren't you? I'm thinking we WILL get you in a car to make a pass. Heck, I don't want every one just laughing at me!!!!!!!!! I need company.

Fred

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
SS425HP said:
You are going to race at Clay City, aren't you? I'm thinking we WILL get you in a car to make a pass. Heck, I don't want every one just laughing at me!!!!!!!!! I need company.

Fred

Fred , you won`t be alone,,, we`ll have fatride to laugh at too !!!:roll :roll:eek: