409 truck engine verse car engine

BobbyC

Hello, Could some one explain the difference between the 409 truck blocks and car blocks? Are they a taller deck block? Do they have the same bore and stroke? As I understand the truck block has notches cut into the bore to lower compression and smaller valved heads. Does this notch drop compression that much? Is that the only difference? Thanks Bob.

DennisK

The truck and car blocks have the same deck height and bore and stroke. The only diff being the notches for the exhuast valves. Some folks like the truck block better than the car.:brow

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
The notches in the bore will lower comp by around one point, 11:1 pistons would be about 10:1 in the truck block. The notch reportedly will unshroud the exhaust valve when compression above 10:1 is used. The truck heads valves are small, truck heads will except a 2.07/1.72" valve combo and with porting will make a 450 hp engine with the right stuff.

mac1

Well Known Member
One more thing, the truck heads (333), also have a small relief that lowers the compression about a 1/4 point. This along with the block relief which is about .75 will net one full point of relief. My engine is a 656 truck block with 333 heads with 10.5 to 1 ross forged pistons which nets me 9.5 to one compression. The valves are 209/172 and the heads are ported and polished.
Like Fatride said, there's allot you can do with this combo if you have the money. :)

BobbyC

Thanks for the replies. This is for a 1962 SS Impala with a factory 327 powerglide setup. Its my Dads car (I'm 41) and he is bound and determined to put a 409 4 speed set up in it. He just got the clutch pedal assembly. And is looking for the engine now. I'm just trying to guide him in the right direction. It sounds like a truck block is an O.K. candidate for a street car. Do any of you have a good rebuild combination (pistons, compression ratio, cam, etc...) to make a healthy yet streetable engine? He likes the power (used to drag race) but will probably just drive it to shows. Maybe hit the track once or twice a year just to bring back memories. Thanks again. Bob.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Bob:

Just thought I'd let you know that one of our "more distinguished" members, known to us as "Fatride" (aka Ray) lives near or about where you seem to be from (NE Ohio). He knows where all the 409 parts are in that part of the country :).

Good luck!

TomK