409 truck engines Yes or No

Hello anyone out there have advice to buy or not buy 409 engines from old Chevrolet trucks ? with the idea to put in a car. I am sure that it has been done. Sometimes i see them with very little miles. Tempted to buy.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
From a financial standpoint it makes good sense...... the cost of a passenger car block......... if they know what they are selling, can be cost prohibitive.......From a performance standpoint .......the truck engines are actually preferred (with the single compression relief)......The thought here is that the compression relief unshrouds the exhaust valve allowing the engine to breathe more efficiently. Far more knowledgeable (smarter) members than myself here will chime in with particulars as far as differences in water pumps , correct pulleys, cooling fans, etc.

Last edited:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Many of these C-60s and C-80s were low mileage vehicles, and did not suffer the "indignity" of being raced hard and put up wet :). So they are out there!!!

I found one in a C-60 with 21K miles and used that as the basis for a drag car engine. A standard bore 409 truck block is a good choice for many, especially those who do not seek "original" or "period correct" engine components. They seem to be more readily available as opposed to the more rare "QB" and "QA" 409 blocks.

ron61

I bought a 656 409 that was used as an irrigation pump. It dyed with bent pushrods and sat in a barn for years . One cylinder was open and had rust took .060 to clean up also had 333 truck heads. Installed new valves and harden seats 206 show car number 950 cam. Having a lot of fun with this engine.