409 truck engines Yes or No

EZ Cool

Supporting Member 1
Nothing wrong with building a low compression 409 for a driver that will live on today’s pump gas. Will make a good blower motor too

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
The main components of value include the block, the crank, the mains, and the valve covers, timing chain cover and oil pan. The water pump, distributor, intake, etc. are generally not used on a subsequent 409 performance build. The 333 heads are options that can be built out with better hardware valves, keepers, etc.).

Low mileage truck engines can sometimes be had for less than the cost of the block, the disclaimer being that upon disassembly some damage can be discovered. I got lucky on a 21,000 mile C60 409 truck engine.

Good luck!
TomK

Last edited:

heddrik

Well Known Member
Friend of mine found 2 348 blocks, been sitting out in weather for years. Guy wanted 250 apiece. Are they worth that in that condition?

heddrik

Well Known Member
That's what I thought too, but figured I would ask the experts. What are some good numbers for a short block, complete engine, etc.?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I paid 750 for a 250 horse,late 60/early 61 short with pan and t.cover from a fellow member here.I wouldn't pay much more than 12,1300 for a complete engine with no visible cracks and can be turned over.Heads,,,,,333''s are the best bang for the buck as far as potential goes,the common 379's would be among the very bottom of the list.