409 with PG?

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I am trying to decide as I get closer to installing my drive train, I have the 409/340 that I am definitely using, as opposed to the 327/250.
I have everything to convert it to a 4 speed, console, pedals and all, but the car I am building was a factory powerglide, my question is did Chevrolet put out a 409 with powerglide? Both the 4 speed and the powerglide are rebuilt, so, they are both as new/rebuilt, I know I have not seen everything, but most 409's generally have the 4 speed? If I go to the 4 speed, does the hole already in the floor tunnel work or do I have to modify it?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The 340 HP powerglide 409 started in 63 into 64 (SS cars had a shift plate with the PG pattern on them). No Powerglide on solid lifter motors (400 HP and 425 HP) in 1963 and 1964

All 61's and 62's with 409's (solid lifter 380 HP & 409 HP) were 4 speeds(either a bench seat (round boot)or a SS shift plate on 4 speed cars.

All 61 to 63 factory 4 speed cars Chevy's (348's, 327's and 409s) had factory black tunnel cover over a rectangular hole cut by the factory in the floor pan.. I have pictures if you want them of the factory tunnel covers, factory cut rectangular hole under the tunnel cover in the floor pan.

1964 -factory 4 speed cars had a small oval hole around the 4 speed shifter and no tunnel cover.

Paul

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
Even if you decide NOT to swap over to a 4 spd manual, I would suggest finding a TH350 auto or any newer Overdrive auto over a PG.
The PG leaves alot to be desired. Most cars feel like a slug with a PG.
Modern auto transmissions have a much more favorable 1st gear ratio, and the seat of the pants driving experience will be more satisfying than with a PG.
Just my opinion having owned a car with a PG and swapping over to a TH350. Made the car feel like it picked up 100HP, and a ton of torque.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I had a 409 P/G in the Biscayne for a few years, should have never sold it. I dumped in a turbo 350 and that's when all the problems started, vibration issues and all of that inc. leaks on those 350 no matter what seals you use just won't stop, was not worth the headaches . The P/G was smooth and drove great. If I had to do it again I would use some kind of 5 or 6 speed trans in the car now.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
PVS409 yes those pics would be handy and much appreciated, I have the rebuilt 4 speed M21, complete, and my first 64 SS has all the factory clutch pedals I could rob, but I knew the hump/tunnel looked different and thought that might be an issue. So I had the PG rebuilt as well for a safety net, so I have two rebuilt drive lines to choose from.

The burgundy 64 SS 4 speed car just needs so much rust repair, I bought a second one thats in the body shop now getting painted, no apparent rust, or very little at least. Thank you Tom and 425/409ER

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Attached are pictures of a 62 SS 409 convertible. The floor pan in 61 to 64 Chevy's is the same.
The pictures include a Hurst competition plus 4 speed on a Muncie/BW 4 speed. The black factory 4 speed tunnel cover was used on 61 to 63 Chevys and in my opinion would work great on a 64 with a Hurst 4 speed shifter(which is the only way to shift Muncie's and BW 4 speeds for 61 to 64 Chevy's (and other years). The tunnel cover makes it easier to adjust the shifter stops and arms and install the shifter.DSCN4319.JPGDSCN4321.JPGP1040767_tn.jpgP1040768_tn.jpgP1040769_tn.jpg

Note how the tunnel cover provides flat area for to place for a factory round boot for a 61 to 64 bench seat or a 62 SS shift plate (or a 64 SS console)
  • 1st 2 pictures -my 62 SS 409 Hardtop with a Muncie 4 speed and a Hurst competition plus 4 speed shifter
  • Next 3 pictures of my friends 62 SS 409 convertible with a BW 4 speed with a Hurst competition plus shifter (the BW and a Muncie 4 speed mount the shifter in the same location
Paul

427John

Well Known Member
I had a 409 P/G in the Biscayne for a few years, should have never sold it. I dumped in a turbo 350 and that's when all the problems started, vibration issues and all of that inc. leaks on those 350 no matter what seals you use just won't stop, was not worth the headaches . The P/G was smooth and drove great. If I had to do it again I would use some kind of 5 or 6 speed trans in the car now.
Sounds more like issues with your tranny guy than the turbo 350,it and the turbo 400 have both proven themselves to be excellent transmissions long ago.Like any mass produced item there are some that get thru with some defect built into it or developed one due to abuse but a good tranny guy should be able to find and rectify them.I'm not slamming the powerglide they work great in a small light car with lots of power,but in a full size car a 3+ speed is the way to go for an auto.A well built turbo 350 should be more than capable of handling the power of a stock 425/409,I personally would lean towards the Turbo 400 but there are weight and size penalties to pay but it leaves the door wide open for any future power upgrades.

Randy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I had a 63, 409, 340hp with a 2 speed powerglide, which I liked a lot. That 2sp was terrific. That thing didn't shift till at least 60mph when I was blowing out some carbon, and I think it would of gone further if I didn't let up. Unfortunately I started to have problems with it and being the hot rod guy That I am, I decided to convert over to a 4 spd Muncie.
Go for it with that 2spd, you won't be disappointed.