409 with Scorpion 1.75 lifters

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
Just wondering if anyone has had strange metallic sounds with these rocker arms. 409 with a hydraulic camshaft. (not sure of make). When I start it sounds like the rockers are hitting the valve cover. They are the Edelbrock aluminum covers. I removed them and no sign of them being hit. I then removed them and started the engine still heard the noise. (metallic sound)...the engine was rebuilt just before I purchased it, but not run for years, still has the break in oil in it. The valves are adjusted correctly.

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
My car has the same rockers would make a rattle/clicking noise, original valve covers, put 3/8 spacers on end of problem

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Which heads do you have. The small port heads the end rockers will hit front and rear. Doesn’t on large port. There is like a good size difference in valve cover rail height on the heads. I used two gaskets to get then to clear on some 817 heads with stock or offenhouser covers. Both hit. Also a solid roller cam so noise I heard was valve clearance.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Mine has aluminum covers and do not hit. I even asked the same question a few years back. I believe the side motion on the rockers is what makes the noise. Once it has run for a minute or so, and the rocker is flooded with oil, the noise nearly disappears. Mine has been doing it for 16 years. Rockers are still like new.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I have Offy valve covers and had to use double stacked cork gaskets to keep my rockers off the valve covers.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

Last edited:

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have the scorpion rockers and they make quite a noise but i have over 5000 miles on this engine over about 16 years an have not had a problem and i use stock valve covers and they don't hit the covers.My cam card says set the valves at .030 and i did that them tried .028 and it made no differance in the noise.I have gotten used to the sound and kinda like it.

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
Another thing I noticed is the rockers are 1.75 ratio. Why would this ratio be selected? I noticed you can buy them with different ratios.