425hp/409 FS

Greetings all, I'm selling my 425 hp 409 engine. I listed it here last year, but many folks here suggested I should make a video of the running engine. I took a break from this project, the add got deleted and now I need to re-post this. So, I'll post the specs, then attach a video of the running engine. It kills me to sell this thing, I so wanted to find an early Chevy to put this in. My last hope was '61 4 door that would have made a nice police interceptor, but it slipped away.

This is a 1963 409 engine, originally out of an Impala, Installed in a 1961 Belmont V-drive boat with a single 4 barrel manifold and a Carter AFB. It belonged to my brother in law. It froze in the winter of 1986 ( he didn't drain the block) and cracked the block externally. I ended up with the engine after installing a truck 409 in the boat. this motor ran perfect when I got it, it just wouldn't hold water!

Here are the specs on the engine as built by myself, a 40+ year mechanic with a legion of experience, references on request.

Block: casting #6844422, stamped for a 1963 Impala ( I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) TO5010(O)B.

Standard bore, all cracks cast iron welded by a professional welder, block heated in a kiln before welding. new cam bearings. Block pressure tested to 20 PSI (water passages). I did this by installing the heads and intake, filling it with solvent, then installing air fittings to the water pump openings and applying 20 PSI pressure.

Stock pistons and rods, new chrome moly rings.

Correct heads for this engine, casting# 3814690, fresh 3 angle valve job, never surfaced.

Single 4 barrel Winters "snowflake"casting intake PN# 3844466 (currently on the engine with draft tube and a Rochester 4-jet carburetor, correct for earlier models)
Dual quad Winters "snow flake" casting intake PN#3814881, comes with the engine, correct for this application.

.010/.010 crank, new bearings. (this was the way I got it, crank is perfect)

'63/'64(?) exhaust manifolds, RH 3855182, LH 3855161, excellent condition, on the engine.

Distributor: "Delco Remy 4171" banded single point w/new vacuum advance.

Chrome valve covers with factory "drippers", "big '65 pan" according to a poster on the previous sale thread (since deleted)

This engine runs great, no coolant or oil leaks, 28psi oil pressure idle/40 psi @ 2500 rpm, I'll have probably 2-3 hours of run time on this engine when it sells, see the following video.

I'll post this now, video will be tomorrow, I attached a couple of photos, one of the welding one of the complete engine on the stand.

Hans
hcabplanalp@gmail.com
530-574-7176

Attachments

I realized I left out some important stuff. The asking price is $6500.00, make any offer you like. I'm located in Northern California, I'll work with a buyer on delivery or pick up. My phone # is 530-574-7176, call or text anytime.

Hans

What am I missing here? I figured I would post it here as a member, assuming a person with a donor car would show some interest. I realize it's a select group, but this is the one for a '63-'64 SS Impala. Any ideas on where to go with this? I really dislike Craigslist, even though it has been useful, and most folks wouldn't get it. Any advice?

Hans

Thanks Phil, how does that resolve with the stamping in front? I knew about the manifolds, is the pan from a '65 as well. Thanks for the feedback.

Hans

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What am I missing here? I figured I would post it here as a member, assuming a person with a donor car would show some interest. I realize it's a select group, but this is the one for a '63-'64 SS Impala. Any ideas on where to go with this? I really dislike Craigslist, even though it has been useful, and most folks wouldn't get it. Any advice?

Hans
Hans,

It's the cracked block, if it wasn't cracked the 6500.00 - the 8500.00 on your first post the motor would've sold ASAP for between 5000.00 and the 8500.00. Even though you don't like craigslist it's probably your best bet with postings too include in other areas of the country. I see postings here in Florida from out west and the new england states for early 60's muscle cars and parts. Just BEWARE of the payment no bank checks and if you take USPS money orders verify them through the USPS before deposit and really clearing your bank. If you did get a buyer, I would take USPS money orders and only cash them through the USPS.

Or part it out and sell everything but the block and you still might get the 5K 409 folks are looking for engine parts everyday and purchasing them for their projects.

Good Luck Ted

Thanks Don, I thought so as well. Manifolds, pan, intake, spare 4V intake, bell housing, Carter X fuel pump and heads alone add up to a bunch and it is a running, fresh build. I totally get the cracks are a problem, if that's the Issue, find a good block (maybe?), or buy one of those cool alloy units!

As it is, it doesn't leak, runs great, bolt it in your car and have fun. I have my eye on a '72 short bed truck, big window, that would love this engine with my M-21 behind it. If he'll sell, that's what I'll do; don't really want another project, but there it is...

Hans

I have to say, I really appreciate all the frank comments and feed-back from this forum. I'm on other forums (Corvette, Corvair and BOSS), but this one is the most professional of the bunch. Thanks.

P.S. Phil, the pan and exhaust manifolds came on a running truck 409 I purchased, used, from a local wrecking yard for $400.00 in '86. It went in the boat mine came out of, with the pan and manifolds for the boat. Weird how it works out sometimes...

Hans