'48 Chev extended cab

alaska gasser

Well Known Member
When I started this build, I really didn't know what year the truck was, so I guessed it was a '48. When they finally found the title for it, it turned out to be a '52. About a month ago while at a friends house, I saw something on his wall that caught my eye. I immediately asked if he would sell it and was promptly told no. Several further questions received the same response. He said it took him 20 years to finally get his hands on it and it wasn't going anywhere. Fast forward to the present day. I loaded up an item I was sure he would want and went back to try again. Upon arrival, a deal was quickly struck and I now have this for my truck.

I'm going to reregister it and use it. I can't believe the odds of finding a plate with the right year and with that number on.

Now I just have to decide what to paint it. I'm thinking of going back to the original tan and red, but am unsure. Thoughts?

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
That's a great plate for the truck Eugene! But like Brodie said above, you should check with the state DMV about what you can or cannot use for a plate and if it can be restored.

alaska gasser

Well Known Member
Most plates were stamped with Land of Enchantment and this one has Official on it. This made me wonder if it was off a government vehicle. I was able to contact the gentleman I got it from and he confirmed it was on a firetruck. I will contact DMV and see if they will allow me to use it or not. If not, I'm still glad I was able to find it.

alaska gasser

Well Known Member
Good news, DMV said I can reregister and use it.

Well I just found out today that the pictures are back from Photobucket, but you have to pay to be able to add any more from now on.
I haven't had time till just a few days ago to work on the truck since our move 1 1/2 years ago, as we opened our own business and run it 7 days a week. I was able to install the carb, spark plugs, brake booster, steering column mount and glove box door.