49 Chevy ignition / key questions

bobs409

Administrator
I'm completely out of my element with these real old cars so maybe one of you guys will know.

1) There is a 49 Chevy in the junkyard that has the ignition switch and I have the key. Problem is I can't get the cylinder out! With the key in, it only turns one position to the left. That's it!

Does that sound correct? It has the hole for the paper clip to go in but I can't feel a plunger and it doesn't seem to want to turn any further.

2) Shown below is the key. It appears to be an original since it still has the key code on it and is marked Briggs and Stratton as well as the RP corp logo. The odd thing is, it's ALUMINUM! I never saw an original key made of aluminum before. Have you??? I know replacements were available in aluminum.

So let's hear from you guys....

DSCN2289.jpgDSCN2290.jpg

Last edited:

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
It should come out using the paper clip and turning key counter clockwise. Maybe a little shot of penetrating oil may help.

Fuzz

bobs409

Administrator
Got back to that junk yard and tried again but it won't budge! I can't feel a plunger in that little hole at all. Key doesn't turn any further to the right.

Might try a small allen wrench instead of the wire I was using so I can push a bit harder.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
This doesn't help to get the tumbler out, but I found the switch positions on another website. The starter button should be near the headlight switch.

Ignition at 11 o'clock ignition is off and locked when key is removed.
12 o'clock ignition on and key can be removed. Ignition can also be turned to the 1 o'clock off position without key.
1 o'clock ignition off, no key required to turn ignition back to 12 o'clock on position.
The key is required to turn to the 11 o'clock to turn ignition off and lock the ignition.

bobs409

Administrator
This isn't acting anything like what you describe Ron. It's 12 o'clock with key out locks it there. Put key in and it turns to about 10? o'clock. I can't feel any positions in between there. Seems like 2 only.

I'll have to find a small bottle of spray lube. Didn't feel like taking a big bottle which is all I have here. :D