500 series pwr steering box install ?

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
Trying to install a pwr steering setup using a cpp 500 series pwr steering box. I am using what I believed to be factory correct replacement parts. When I installed the pump it was so tight the pulley was hitting the box. Has anyone installed a 500 box ? With more success than I am having. The pump bracket was listed as a 409 unit...The pump was a generic chevy pump that fit well in the bracket, the pulley isa 409 only factory style pulley. I have shims on the pump mounting bolts.1AE41EC9-DC2A-48D7-8224-DE31C1CD96A2.jpegF029CFD3-AB17-4862-9C9E-BCD98E8E53DB.jpeg9C22A703-FDF3-4C6D-B6CB-6C741E2DA0A9.jpeg
Any info would be a great help, thanks

El Rat

Well Known Member
Hello
I just installed a cpp 500 in my 63 biscayne and don’t understand your question. I used a standard PS pump with 409 PS pump brackets available from Showcars. I shimmed the box to get clearance for the rag joint.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
your pump is not the same as a original PS pump -that is a aftermarket pump with a different shape not close to the original pump.
You do not appear to have factory 409 PS pump brackets. Your pump may not fit these correct 409 power steering pump brackets
Brackets like this Show Cars part # 5347 :
https://show-cars.com/product/1714

A small block fan shroud does not clear the PS pulley on 409 motors as I recall, you need a 409 narrower fan shroud.

I tried the switch twice on my 409s (both with Borgenson PS pumps). Removed everything and used factory Power steering with 2 -1962 409 cars with all new or rebuilt power steering parts. Also have one factory Power Steering 1962 327/300 HP hardtop.

First picture is with belts installed, factory original pump deep groove pulleys -Borgenson pump (similar to CCP pump as I recall) -the alternator mount using a factory 409 mount on the motor and exhaust manifold will place the belt in the same place as this picture.
2nd picture is with factory 409 PS pump brackets mounted on the motor
3rd picture with factory pump installed on 409 PS pump brackets with 4 core 409 radiator installed to check clearance with new PS pump mounted -Borgenson pump

Paul

DSCN4759.JPGDSCN4410.JPGDSCN0373.JPG

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
your pump is not the same as a original PS pump -that is a aftermarket pump with a different shape not close to the original pump.
You do not appear to have factory 409 PS pump brackets. Your pump may not fit these correct 409 power steering pump brackets
Brackets like this Show Cars part # 5347 :
https://show-cars.com/product/1714

A small block fan shroud does not clear the PS pulley on 409 motors as I recall, you need a 409 narrower fan shroud.

I tried the switch twice on my 409s (both with Borgenson PS pumps). Removed everything and used factory Power steering with 2 -1962 409 cars with all new or rebuilt power steering parts. Also have one factory Power Steering 1962 327/300 HP hardtop.

First picture is with belts installed, factory original pump deep groove pulleys -Borgenson pump (similar to CCP pump as I recall) -the alternator mount using a factory 409 mount on the motor and exhaust manifold will place the belt in the same place as this picture.
2nd picture is with factory 409 PS pump brackets mounted on the motor
3rd picture with factory pump installed on 409 PS pump brackets with 4 core 409 radiator installed to check clearance with new PS pump mounted -Borgenson pump

Paul

View attachment 72181View attachment 72182View attachment 72183

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
THANK YOU...I will have to order the correct pump and brackets, looks to be a significant difference. the pump pulley I have looks to be ok to use. I see there are smaller one available, but would cause the pump to rotate too fast. The radiator shroud is a 409 shroud
so that should be ok to use.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Used Allan Grove brackets because I have 2” Jardine Headers, liked mounting of alternator with the headers.
Added edelbrock heads at end of 1 year( too long engine build ) when my 690’s were cracked.

Geary Trussell

Well Known Member
The only trouble you should have mounting the 500 is if you are using a serpentine belt drive system. I know I did using Billet Specialties serpentine system. The only box that fit was the 605 unless you make some frame mounting modifications.